A wound that doesn't heal

If anyone can offer some insight as to how to reasearch this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.
A friend of mine asked me if I knew how she could inquire more about a condition her Grandmother has. My friend told me that her Grandmother is 85 yrs. old, and has a heart condition.
Her Grandmother's problem is that she has a wound (cut) on her ankle that will not heal. Apparently, she's had this wound for approximately a year.
The wound is approximately 1/4 inch in diameter. She is taking numerous heart related medications. She has previously had leg related problems such as clots and swelling. There is pain associated with the wound. The area is not infected, nor has the area grown in size.
According to my friend, her Grandmother has not altered her diet or physical regimen to offset her helath related problems. Also, she has not been diagnosed with diabetes. She does see a physician, however, my friend and her husband feel that this problem should have corrected itself by now, so they are loosing confidence in their Grandmother's physician.
Question is: does this seem symptomatic of something. If so, can you offer some possibilities that my friend can look more into by way of lay research.
Jack

QUOTE (jpatter916 @ Jan 2 2003, 08:12 AM)
If anyone can offer some insight as to how to reasearch this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.
A friend of mine asked me if I knew how she could inquire more about a condition her Grandmother has. My friend told me that her Grandmother is 85 yrs. old, and has a heart condition.
Her Grandmother's problem is that she has a wound (cut) on her ankle that will not heal. Apparently, she's had this wound for approximately a year.
The wound is approximately 1/4 inch in diameter. She is taking numerous heart related medications. She has previously had leg related problems such as clots and swelling. There is pain associated with the wound. The area is not infected, nor has the area grown in size.
According to my friend, her Grandmother has not altered her diet or physical regimen to offset her helath related problems. Also, she has not been diagnosed with diabetes. She does see a physician, however, my friend and her husband feel that this problem should have corrected itself by now, so they are loosing confidence in their Grandmother's physician.
Question is: does this seem symptomatic of something. If so, can you offer some possibilities that my friend can look more into by way of lay research.
Jack

Hi Jack,
Your friend's grandmother may have peripheral vascular disease which would greatly increase the time that wounds take to heal. She may need the assistance of a vascular surgeon to evaluate the blood flow in her lower extremity. Often folks who have ASCVD (Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease) will have significant problems with blood flow in their extremities especially the lower extremities. Problems with blood flow in the peripheral extremites are also greatly enhanced in people who smoke, have diabetes or high cholesterol.
Good luck
Natalie smile.gif

Thanks, Nat, and Happy New Year.