About volunteering

Hi everyone, we all know the importance of volunteering and clinical related experience to the application. There are quite a few hospitals in the town where I live. But I don’t know any doctor or have any personal contact. Can anyone give me some advice on how to volunteer in a local hospital? Thank you!

Helen -

Most hospitals have a volunteer department or coordinator. Call the main hospital number and they should be able to direct you. Some hospitals may even have information on their websites.

However, be prepared in advance to hear that many hospitals may not offer much in the way of “clinical” volunteer opportunities. Or, if they do offer those kind of opportunities, there is a waiting list or they require that you volunteer in another capacity for some time first.

You may consider contacting some hospice organizations - especially non-profits. They may offer some patient care opportunities with far less training than a hospital.

• helensun Said:
Hi everyone, we all know the importance of volunteering and clinical related experience to the application. There are quite a few hospitals in the town where I live. But I don't know any doctor or have any personal contact. Can anyone give me some advice on how to volunteer in a local hospital? Thank you!

It is expected that applicants do have volunteering, patient experience and Shadowing experiences

This can make or break you when it comes to being accepted.

Hospice can be a great experience

As a side note - your volunteering and clinical experience do NOT have to be one and the same. If you have other means to gain some patient care/contact experience, then feel free to volunteer in something non-medical that interests you.

Absolutely if you are a EMT CNA Nurse Tech and get the Patient Contact that way you can volunteer to organize Cancer walks or Special Olympics for example.

I just completed volunteer training at my local Hospice and although I haven’t done any straight volunteering just yet, I can see that there will be many chances for patient interaction. Also, I think the experience is just rewarding in itself.

If you have a local free clinic, that may also be a good place to gain some experience.

I’ve heard hospitals are the one of the worst volunteer experiences simply because they give you little to no clinic exposure.

• plumdearly Said:
I've heard hospitals are the one of the worst volunteer experiences simply because they give you little to no clinic exposure.

My own experience was that hospital volunteering can be amazing experiences. Pushing wheelchairs and beds, or talking to relatives of patients, or assisting nurses--these are all relevant and important tasks. Many hospitals rely heavily on volunteers. The big city hospital I worked at had about 1000 volunteers of all ages. (Interestingly, very few premeds showed up for the volunteer appreciation dinners and gatherings that happened about once or twice a year; most of those present were retirees.) Try not to fall into the trap of thinking you need "clinical" experience on your resume to prove to medical school admissions committees that you have what it takes to get through medical school. That's not what they're looking for.