Academic Dishonesty

Hi! I completed my undergraduate in the May of 2019. I’m currently in the process of re-taking my MCAT for later this year. In the Summer of 2019, I was enrolled in summer classes. One of my classmates, who I previously had classes with, asked for help on a writing assignment for a Jazz class. Since I took this class the previous summer, it made sense that she asked for help. I gave her access to my writing assignment, purely thinking she would use it as a reference.

A couple of weeks later, she and I received a notification from the college’s Office of Academic Integrity that her assignment was flagged for plagiarism. I received Academic Dishonesty and was put on Academic Probation for the following semester. I was just wondering how I should approach addressing this situation when it comes to application season and whether I still have a chance to get into medical school. Since then, I have not let this mistake stop me from strengthening my application but I can’t help but feel that I’m still not doing enough/not being realistic. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions.

The sense I get from Dr. Grays videos is that you kinda have to own it! Make sure you bring it up when asked, and don’t try to pass off responsibility too much. Tell the full story, but accept responsibility and how you grew from that situation.

You definitely still have a chance!
Dr. Grays video here addresses a student with a similar situation:

1 Like