Academically Dismissed in Undergrad - any way to redeem myself?!

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself, and see if anyone can offer some advice. I was ecstatic once stumbling upon this board - it seems like there’s a lot of people in this boat!

I graduated from college in December of 2002 with a bachelors degree in accounting. I’ve always wanted to be a doctor, but messed up terribly in my first couple of years of college, and thus gave up my dreams.

I finally ended up graduating with a 2.9 GPA, yet still managed to land a great job with one of the Big Four accounting firms. Since then, my career has skyrocketed, but I am absolutely miserable.

Now, at the age of 27, I wish to go back to school and follow my dreams. I’m considering a post-bacc program, but I’m not sure how feasible it is for me to even get into med school considering i was dismissed from college due to my poor academics after my 3rd semester in undergrad. I never stopped going to school, and i worked throughout undergrad, but never really cared about what i was studying enough to do well.

I know i really want to be a doctor, and I am at that stage in my life where I appreciate education, and am capable of giving it my all. I just dont know if I’ll be given the chance given my track record.

Anyone with a similar experience or any words of advice/wisdom?

Welcome to Old Pre Meds!

Yes, there are a lot of people in your boat. Many people will tell you to search out the story of Old Man Dave. Do so… He’s very inspirational…

I am guessing that you haven’t taken many science classes. That’s good - you won’t have to make up for past bad performance. My advice would be to take one year of science class ( I started with Gen Chem) at a 4-year university, preferably. Get all A’s. Then take your other classes and ace them. The BCPM (bio, chem, physics, math) average is what will matter the most. You have something to prove, and a reason to prove it. You can do it!!! I was very afraid of going back to school (I didn’t exactly set the world on fire the first time either), but once I had a goal that mattered to me, school got easier.

Also, you need clinical experience and community service. You can combine the two by volunteering at a hospice or at a health clinic.

You are an accountant- can you get a job at a university or a hospital? This may help you pay for prereqs and possibly introduce you to the business side of medicine… I would imagine this could be very useful down the road.

I work in banking and I hate it too… but life gets easier when you have a worthy cause to devote it to. Good luck to you - and don’t let anybody talk you out of your dream. You can do it.

Thanks for the advice! It’s really comforting to know there are others in the same situation. I actually havent taken many science courses, but I do have a few math classes.

I’ve considered looking for accounting jobs at a university or hospital, but frankly, I haven’t tried hard enough!

I’ve heard of Old Man Dave’s story…but how do I go about finding in on this site?

What are peoples thoughts on Post Bacc programs? Does anyone know of programs that would take less than 2 years?

Thanks again for the help!

Aneeka -

I think you will be fine if you do well in the pre-req classes (well meaning mostly A’s) and score well on the MCAT. Most medical schools weigh the overall BCPM (biology, chemistry, physcis, mathematics) GPA and recent grades more heavily than more distant grades. There are some schools that have minimum GPA requirements, and no matter how hard you work or how many classes you take you are unlikely to raise your GPA high enough to be considered. Do your research before you apply and apply to schools that will consider your whole application and give you credit for maturing and doing well in recent course work.

As for post-bacc programs - most formal post-bacc programs are less than two years and you can also take the pre-reqs without a formal post-bacc program in approximately two years, depending on how many courses you want to take. It is tough to do it informally in less than two years because of the chemistry requirements.

Aneeka,

Don’t worry about your past. Just prepare and do the BEST you can now, and for the future. I was dismissed from school and was on probation for 2 additional semesters. I worked hard, did exceptional well on the MCAT, and now have interviews at all the med schools in Chicago, and several schools in the Big Ten. I also have one acceptance letter. Stay Strong, Do your Best, and Don’t listen to Negitivity.

Thanks Everyone for the encouragement! I definitely need it!

I can’t tell you enough how comforting it is to see others who are going/have gone through the same thing.

Thanks so much again!

• wisemanwithnoname Said:
Aneeka,

Don't worry about your past. Just prepare and do the BEST you can now, and for the future. I was dismissed from school and was on probation for 2 additional semesters. I worked hard, did exceptional well on the MCAT, and now have interviews at all the med schools in Chicago, and several schools in the Big Ten. I also have one acceptance letter. Stay Strong, Do your Best, and Don't listen to Negitivity.

Hi I agree with the above, do not let negativity get to you, other sites have some posters who will put you down.

1. Remember the past to learn from it and be stronger

2. You have had 4 years to look at life and decided that you want to be a Doctor, in some cultures you are not Mature until you are 50! So don't be so hard on your self about life and when you were younger, wisdom comes with time it can't be learned ( on day I will be wise LOL)

3. Yes Post Bac is a good way if you want, you can also do what the others said too.

4. You will have good subject matter for your personal statement, like how you have turned around academicaly now that you are focused and more mature ect.......

Welcome and good Luck. smiley (I do not like the new smileys)

Do a search on my posts - I believe it is entitled, “Who in the Hell is OldManDave?”

In a nutshell, I was placed on probation for grades & truly rose to the challenge. In the fall 87 term, I “earned” a 0.667 gpa…or at least that was what I would have gotten…but was called into the Dean’s office - had to meet with him periodically as I was on probation - he politely, but emphatically, suggested I withdraw to avoid expulsion. So I did. But then, I made a typically mature & wise decision - I became a bouncer & bartender…talk about throwing gas onto the fire!!!

Long story made short - I knoew I’d never be a physician, so I became a respiratory therapist. Loved doing the for a while - many years in peds & adult ICUs - and then decided to give the doctor-thing a go. Re-entered college - trip #3 - at UTDallas in fall 96 - grad magna cum laude w/ BS in Neuroscience in 99 - started med school that fall only to graduate in 6/2003.

As I sit here typing out this reply, I am just under 8 mos from completing my residency in anesthesiology at one of the elite programs, where I will also undertake a fellowship in critical care med starting July 07.

Can it be done? Yes

Will it be easy? Hell no

Will it be harder due to my transgressions? Yes

Is it worth it? If medicine is the correct choice for you & you are willing & able to make the sacrifices that will be mandated, do the work requested & you have within you the deep down commitment to persevere, yes - without question!

• aneeka Said:
Thanks for the advice! It's really comforting to know there are others in the same situation. I actually havent taken many science courses, but I do have a few math classes.

I've considered looking for accounting jobs at a university or hospital, but frankly, I haven't tried hard enough!

I've heard of Old Man Dave's story...but how do I go about finding in on this site?

What are peoples thoughts on Post Bacc programs? Does anyone know of programs that would take less than 2 years?

Thanks again for the help!