Accepted !!

02/24/07 06:52 PM - Post#43549

It has been a while since my last post but I thought sharing the following news would provide some encouragement to others. As some of you may know, I have interviewed at Duke, Vanderbilt, UAB and a few other schools. UAB sent me an acceptance letter several weeks ago and I have just started receiving others. I am waiting to hear from Duke, Vanderbilt and the others.

For what it is worth, (not much), the experience of applying to medical school has been a uncertain road. Working, taking classes, volunteering, studying for the MCAT and spending time with the wife have been difficult to manage. Those of you that are still working toward medical school should know that it will happen for you as it has for me. Along the way, people will doubt you, your sanity, your resolve and your fortitude. At times you may find yourself questioning whether the sacrifices are for the better. My advice: make each step count–do not focus on medical school or becoming a physician but, rather, devote yourself to being a great organic chemistry student and then a great physics student. If you keep your eyes on the individual steps, you have a much better chance of making it to the top of the stairs. (GOOD LUCK!!)

CONGRATULATIONS! It has been a while since we last heard from you, but I do remember you. Good luck in med school & please keep us all up to date on your journey. The experiences you relay do serve to inspire & educate others here.

congrats!!!

Congratulations on your news!

Your advice is excellent, and I agree. I would add that it’s a long road; enjoy every step of the journey all you can.

Sincere congratulations on your acceptance.

Your words are inspiring and bring hope to my efforts. Indeed I have strived the be the best Calculus student, then the top physics, … chemistry and so on.

I hope to have the privelege of relaying similar acceptance news shortly.

Ron

congrats!!

Congratulations on your first acceptance and possibly several others to follow!

Looks like OPM is going to have a great Class of 2011!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

• wcliffa Said:
My advice: make each step count–do not focus on medical school or becoming a physician but, rather, devote yourself to being a great organic chemistry student and then a great physics student. If you keep your eyes on the individual steps, you have a much better chance of making it to the top of the stairs. (GOOD LUCK!!)

Thanks for this post. I needed to hear that right now. I have a tendency to get too focused on the future and ignoring the present.

YAY!

Congratulations to you on acceptance!

Quite a few of us got accepted this year! We should have a party for the graduating class of 2011 OPMers!

Grats to all!

Thank you for the congratulations. I often wondered whether the day would come–but I guess time takes care of everything. Every sincere person wishing to pursue this dream will make it as I have.

Funny Admission story: At Christmas I took a cruise with my wife. At first I was nervous because it had been nearly two weeks since my first interview. I knew that the committee was scheduled to meet several days after my interview. Then, on December 25, I checked my shipboard e-mail. I figured that I would have the usual work and personal messages. To my surprise I received an e-mail from UAB titled “application reviewed.” (The e-mail stations on this ship are located in the library) I thought to myself: “This cannot be good–my interview was just two weeks ago.” I struggled with whether I should open the e-mail. If rejected, it would be difficult to enjoy the rest of the trip. With my wife standing behind me, I closed my eyes and opened the e-mail. Then my wife said accepted and I closed the e-mail without looking at it and nearly fell out of my chair with excitement. I ran to the cabin phone ($5.00 per/min–not a good idea) and called nearly everyone I knew. It was truly one of the best days of my life.

P.s. I wanted to tell everyone on the ship–and probably did.

(I know you will have yours–keep moving forward!)

Good work wcliffa! And good luck on the rest of your interviews–may you have the agony of choosing between several acceptances!

congrats and stay BLESSED