Admission To Medical School

Hello, I’m new here.
I’m a 52 year old pre-med student who plans to enter medical school when I’m 54, not exactly a young age, and I’m seeking advice as to my prospects re gaining admission to med school anywhere in the US or Carribbean, including of course DO schools.
On a more positive note, I am an attorney who practiced law for 15 years with a substantial pro bono practice, then spent about 10 years working as a commercial pilot and flight instructor. I have also done extensive charitable work in Africa, India, Europe and South America. My college GPA is 3.8, and in addition to my B.S. with highest honors and law degree from a prestigious law school, I will also have a Masters in Health Psychology prior to entering medical school. My dream is to become a family pratitioner.
Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi there,
I am a 52-year old General Surgery resident who just recieved an acceptance to 2 law schools. I am a PGY-3 resident who plans to do a vascular fellowship when I am done with residency. I have yet to decide what to do with my law school admission. I was testing the water and ended up getting plunged in.
I will strongly suggest that you look at the information on the annual convention that is coming up in June 2005. You are going to find so much there that will help you with the logistics of your decision.
I applied back in 1996 at age 45 when everyone though I was one of the medical school professors when I came into the interview room. When they found out that I was an applicant, they were totally surprised and dismissed me as a crazy fool. What medical school would “waste” a slot on a gray-haired woman who was old enough to be a grandmother? (I was a professor before medical school). I ended up getting accepted into every school that I applied to. I still don’t know why I was successful since one of my closest friends (son of one of my colleagues) with a undergraduate GPA of 3.9 and 42 MCAT was unable to get in on his first try. He did eventually get in but he grew up quite a bit with the application process.
Welcome to the group and feel free to post and let us know how you are doing. If you read many of the posts here, you know that medical school is very possible for you and your can do well once you are there. Look especially at the posts of Linda Wilson who entered medical school at age 52 and is now in the middle of her second year. She had endured personal illness and family illnesses but she is doing exceptionally well and one semester away from her clinical years. She anticipates a career in Family Medicine.
Look at the posts of Mary Riley Renard, MD who entered medical school at age 44 after a career in nursing. She is now a Family Medicine resident who has very successfully navigated medical school and now residency.
Look at the posts of Old Man Dave who is now in his late 30s but overcame a GPA of 1.2 to become a physician and now second-year anesthesia resident at Dartmouth University.
There are plenty of other success stories but the above people are particularly outstanding in their unselfish willingness to reach back and help others achieve their dreams. If you do a search on the various forums, you will find plenty of strategies to help you at every step of the way.
Again, welcome. We are a very friendly bunch!
Natalie

Jack;
WELCOME TO OPM! Here, you are not an anomoly. Hell, you are not even all that unusual for your age. In addition to the aforementioned people (thanx Nat for the flattery), there are many more of us old codgers not only getting into medical school; but also exceling there & going on to become respected residents & eventually staff level practitioners. Yes, it is possible, esp for someone who already knows how to succeed in a competitive & rigorous academic environment.
Will your age be a factor? I will be blunt - yes it will. For some programs, there is unfortunately sort a soft glass ceiling. I do not fell that there are too many programs that will simply not consider you for your age, but many will factor it into consideration. So, it is up to you to portray yourself as the vigorous, energetic candidate who will not be a boat anchor, but will be a valuable addition to a class full of younger people. As a mature veteran of the professional world, you bring more elements of value to a young class than can be listed. It is up to you to emphasize what you will/can bring to a program & to our profession.
DO schools have a longer history of being open to older, nontraditional applicants; however, do not neglect the many MD programs. Overall, MD programs are becoming progressively more accepting of this burgeoning trend of second-career people entering medicine.
Again, welcome to OPM & we’d love to meet you in person at our upcoming 2005 National Conference & Workshops in Washington DC. As Nat said, there we will present tons of extremely valuable information that will greatly benefit any applicant to medical school, esp the nontraditional.

Hey Jack,
Good to have you on board. I’m 35, spent 10 years as a commercial pilot myself at Trans World Airlines and American. What did you fly and who did you fly for?
It’s most certainly doable. I’m starting in August…

Hello
Thanks for the encouragement and congratulations on your admission to medical school.
I’m afraid I’m out of your league. I only did charter work, never flew for the airlines. I flew piston twins, propjets and Citations and also did a fair share of flight instructing. I’m curious: unlike me you were at the pinnacle of the aviation profession. What prompted your decision to become a physician, and, do you still fly recreationally with GA aircraft?

Quote:

Hello
Thanks for the encouragement and congratulations on your admission to medical school.
I’m afraid I’m out of your league. I only did charter work, never flew for the airlines. I flew piston twins, propjets and Citations and also did a fair share of flight instructing. I’m curious: unlike me you were at the pinnacle of the aviation profession. What prompted your decision to become a physician, and, do you still fly recreationally with GA aircraft?

Hey, may I jump in too and take this OT (off topic) just a bit? I spent some of my flying time being a flight instructor as well. I finally decided that my life was too valuable (and my children needed their mom) to challenge gravity teaching students to land.
Cheers,
Judy

Hey Jack,
Sounds like you’ve had quite a bit of experience in aviation. How did you like the Citation? Which model were you flying? I spent some time flying Cessna 402’s - it was hardly a career-category job, but it was a lot of fun and I got to see some interesting places.
As far as why, I started thinking along these lines when my father passed away as a result of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis in 1999. The events of 9-11 and the massive furloughs American engaged in subsequent to that gave me the necessary push to go through with it.
I still take a rental C-172 out for a spin on occasion and go up with a CFI once a year to keep VFR current.
Look at the good side - I think we’ll both be safe in Bonanzas!

I too am a fellow pilot, GA with 150s, 172s…
However, once the kids neared college age, I gave it up. Now that my youngest is completing his 2nd year of college, perhaps I can start up again…oh ya…med school…now there is a chunk of change - never mind.
Welcome aboard on this new career path where new heights are assured!

Jack,
Well, I guess Natalie already introduced me, but here’s my two cents. When I began contemplating attempting to go to medical school, I was 48. By the time I finished my prereqs and obtained two more degrees and received an acceptance, I was 51. Started WVSOM at 52 (by the way, WVSOM is EXTREMELY nontrad friendly, especially if you mention you’re part of oldpremeds)!
Like Nat said, I’m now in my second semester of my second year, anxiously awaiting clinical rotations. I have already scheduled my first family medicine rotation, and can’t wait to begin. I have also applied for a GTA (fellowship) position in the Osteopathic Principles and Practice division of the school which would add one year before graduation, but allow me some excellent teaching experience. And, if I should get the position, the tuition and fees for the rest of my school years are paid, and I will receive a salary for two years as well.
I guess what I’m trying to say, is that if you have a passion and are willing to work hard to obtain your goals, age should not deter you. After all, in 5 years you will either be 57 and not in med school because you didn’t even try, or you will be 57 and well on your way to becoming a doctor! The choice is yours!
Good luck!

Nicely put Linda (and BTW: a big HI!)
For the record, if your so concerned about age, I just turned 49 two days ago. My PBL group had a cake today. So age makes no difference – where do you want to be at 57? Answer that and then just do what you have to do to get there.

Pilots! Maybe someone out there will understand: seeing the green & white municipal airport beacon at night, to me, is like the smell of home-baked chocolate cookies to others. It’s the stuff of home.
I started soaring at 14, scared to death my aged instructor would keel over. I rapidly learned to land. From there I went to skydiving, but my whole family flew and I grew up at small dirt strips all over the country.
Judy C.–I can’t believe we have this in common TOO!
Barb

Hi again
I flew a Citation 500. It wasn’t sexy but I enjoyed flying it. I admire your reasons for pursuing medicine and your dedication. And you’re right - hopefully soon we can both fly the doctor killing Bonanzas we used to warn our students about!
Jack
P.S. I like the 402 and 414. What did you fly for the airlines?

Thanks for the encouragement and best wishes in your pursuits. It always amazes me how many professional people fly; another cause in addition to possessing the proverbial defective aviation gene is, I think, a spirit that constantly seeks out new horizons.
Jack

Linda
Your story is incredibly encouraging, and I appreciate your kind words. I agree with you completely. I didn’t decide to become a lawyer until I was 28. I had some college to finish so I knew it would be 32 before I became a lawyer. I remember concluding that I could continue my life unchanged and be a 32 year old guitar teacher or a 32 year old lawyer, but if I lived, one thing was certain, I was going to be 32 regardless. That perspective forever removed the impediment of age from the consideration of new challenges. Having traveled extensively in Africa, India, South America, Asia, and Europe and observing other cultures, I find it sad that in our great nation advancing age is considered a limitation instead of a propulsion to greater wisdom, knowledge and understanding. For example, pilots being forced to retire at 60, when they are probably at the peak of their abilities, is to me a sad reflection on the ageism you have successfully confronted.
Best wishes to you and congratulations on your significant achievements. I will remember you as I endeavor to trek down the same path.
Jack

Happy birthday and I concur wholeheartedly.
Jack

Judy
Do you still fly recreationally?
Jack

Quote:

P.S. I like the 402 and 414. What did you fly for the airlines?

I really liked the 402 as well. Fun to fly, pretty versatile - it would make a fine “personal airplane” (if I ever hit the lottery!)
I started out on the engineer panel of the Lockheed Tristar out of Kennedy Airport for TWA, then transferred to the Saint Louis crew base when I upgraded to First Officer on the Boeing 727. I flew it for a couple of years and as we started retiring them I transferred over to the MD-80. Then 9/11 hit and things started going backwards.
I spent a few months flying 747-100 and 747-200 freighters this summer.
I’d say my favorite airplane of all time was the 727. Built like a tank, and a delight to hand-fly. Usually, I used to kick the autopilot off around 18,000 feet and drive it in by hand.
The -80 was a pitch sensitive lawn dart compared to the 727.

Quote:

…I admire your reasons for pursuing medicine and your dedication. And you’re right - hopefully soon we can both fly the doctor killing Bonanzas we used to warn our students about!

The two scariest flights I’ve ever been on have been in V-tail Bonanzas! Both needed emergency landings. (No, I wasn’t the pilot, fortunately. No, I don’t fly Bonanzas anymore. No, I would never try to teach a doc to fly. :slight_smile: )
Cheers,
Judy

Jack,
If you want to know more, just read my diary in the soap notes section. And try to make it to the conference! The info you’ll get and the friends you can make are invaluable.

Quote:

Quote:

…I admire your reasons for pursuing medicine and your dedication. And you’re right - hopefully soon we can both fly the doctor killing Bonanzas we used to warn our students about!

The two scariest flights I’ve ever been on have been in V-tail Bonanzas! Both needed emergency landings. (No, I wasn’t the pilot, fortunately. No, I don’t fly Bonanzas anymore. No, I would never try to teach a doc to fly. :slight_smile: )

Cheers,

Judy

My 2 scariest flight both came on SW Airlines on their venerable 737s.

Incident #1: Flying home after my father-in-law passed away, taking off from STL (St. Louis), our pilot flew through the previous plane’s wing-rotor. While still in the steep part part of the ascent, wheels-up had only been MAYBE 3 minutes prior, we hit the rotor & suddenly rolled about 20 degrees! $hit was flying all over the cabin & folks were screaming. To a fly on the wall, it musta looked like the scene from the movie Airplane where the passengers were instructed to, “assume crash positions…” Anyhow, the pilot corrected & we made it safely to Kansas City.

Incident #2: Landing in Little Rock (flying home on a hunting trip) we landed S–>N headed towards the Ark River (a very large river, mind you). Well, you’re supposed to touch down in the vacinity of the big white stripes…this being a rather windy day, we were apparently landing rather hot. Subsequently, we were still a good ways off of the ground when we flew over the aforementioned stripes. I fully expected him to spin up, fly around & try again. But no, we cont our descent. When we finally hit the runway, the pilot 2-hopped it. To make it more interesting, I know that the Ark River is not but a 300 or so yards off the end of the runway AND I know (having landed in LIT many many many times) that our landing left us not a hell of a lot of runway to play with that we just might be in trouble. At this point, I am still awaiting the spin up to fly around for try #2, but no go. They finally dump the lift & hit the reversers - we were all @$$holes & elbows trying to get stopped. Again, there was much commotion & loose things migrating forward. when they did get us stopped, we were well into the cross-hatched run-off. In fact, the pilot had to do a 180 & travel a good ways back down the runway to get to taxiway. Needless to say, much relief when I realized we weren’t going swimming in a long aluminum/titanium tube!

Final result - I don’t fly SWA if there is any way I can avoid them. Sadly, a very good friend of mine & a superb pilot flies for them too…