I’m completing my pre-reqs right now and trying to decide if I should apply for entry in Fall of 2010 or fall of 2011. Here is what I have done so far.
- Fall '94-Spring '95 General Bio and General Chem w/ labs (A's in all)
- 1995-2006 completed BA and MA in Literature. Worked as science editor. Also completed courses in calculus (B+), statistics (A), psychology (B) etc.
- Fall 2008- Completed Physics 1 and Orgo 1 with Labs (A)
- Spring 2009- Will complete physics 2 and Orgo 2 with labs, and also doing a job shadow experience with a local surgeon.
This fall I plan to take Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Originally, I was planning to take the MCAT in the spring of '10, but it occured to me that I'll have all of the pre-reqs that I need for the schools I am considering by the end of Spring 2009. (I'll need Biochem as well, but it would be finished by the time I enroll, so I think it's okay to apply while that is in progress.)
My general bio and chem credits are old, of course, this is the reason that I was considering postponing applications until Fall of '10. But I've been thinking that if I have the basics, why not apply at the end of this year, all they can say is "no" right...and if they do, I go back to my original timeline. Over the next 10 months or so I'll be reviewing what I learned in general bio and chem anyway to prep for MCAT.