Advice for newbie, premed, med school...

Hello Folks,

I just found about this forum few minutes ago and realized am not the only “crazy” one around. I am inspired by your ambition and drive! Kudos.

Thank you in advance for reading my lengthy post and answering my questions.

Background

I am 29 years old (soon-to-be-dad) and working as an engineer(~5 yrs) and very serious about applying to medical school. I finished my undergraduate degree (BS Electrical Engineering, 2001, GPA: 3.75, in India) and MSEE (2003, GPA: 3.83). I always wanted to study and become a doctor, but circumstances and parental pressure made me abandon the idea at that time. While I was studying for my Master’s, I worked on a project on artificial neural networks and this rekindled my interest in becoming a doctor.

Questions

I really appreciate your able answers to the following questions:

1. Am I too old to start medical school ? I am planning on starting premed/post bacc this Fall. I know the answer to the question about age, I guess am looking for a reaffirmation from folks who are going thro’ this process.

2. Do I really need premed (or is there something like core prereqs). Ideally, I would like to apply for medical schools at my earliest, but I realize there is some preparation needed to put together a strong application. Any thoughts and advice on best utilizing my time between now and the time for applications.

3. I live in the SF Bay area and did initial research on UC Berkeley Extension’s post bacc program for non traditional students. Anyone has any inputs on this program ? 24 credits are required to successfully complete the certificate program. Should I complete the certificate program before I apply to med schools or just finish the core classes and take my MCAT.

4. Any other recommended post bacc programs in the area ?

Thank you,

Ajay

Hi Ajay, I tried to answer some of your questions below…

• ajayc Said:
Hello Folks,

I just found about this forum few minutes ago and realized am not the only "crazy" one around. I am inspired by your ambition and drive! Kudos.

Thank you in advance for reading my lengthy post and answering my questions.

Background

I am 29 years old (soon-to-be-dad) and working as an engineer(~5 yrs) and very serious about applying to medical school. I finished my undergraduate degree (BS Electrical Engineering, 2001, GPA: 3.75, in India) and MSEE (2003, GPA: 3.83). I always wanted to study and become a doctor, but circumstances and parental pressure made me abandon the idea at that time. While I was studying for my Master's, I worked on a project on artificial neural networks and this rekindled my interest in becoming a doctor.

Questions

I really appreciate your able answers to the following questions:

1. Am I too old to start medical school ? I am planning on starting premed/post bacc this Fall. I know the answer to the question about age, I guess am looking for a reaffirmation from folks who are going thro' this process.

NO! if you notice the ages on this forum, you will see that you are actually one of the younger set and most seem to be 30+

2. Do I really need premed (or is there something like core prereqs). Ideally, I would like to apply for medical schools at my earliest, but I realize there is some preparation needed to put together a strong application. Any thoughts and advice on best utilizing my time between now and the time for applications.

Actually, there really isn't any premed major. Some schools might have some programs geared specifically for students pursuing medicine, but usually it is just a way to provide a blue print for the more traditional students so that they know what classes they need just to get their bachelors and comprises the prereqs that you will need to have done. Your major can actually be any thing that really interests you, and it doesn't have to be a concentration in any of the hard sciences.

As for the prereqs that you do need, 1 yr biology, 1 yr gen chem, 1 yr organic chem and 1 yr physics. Those are technically the only classes that you may need, although sometimes having higher level classes like biochem, genetics, physiology and cell bio will only enhance your application. As an engineer, did you take any of these classes during your education? While biology for the most part should be fairly recent, you might want to check about the others.

3. I live in the SF Bay area and did initial research on UC Berkeley Extension's post bacc program for non traditional students. Anyone has any inputs on this program ? 24 credits are required to successfully complete the certificate program. Should I complete the certificate program before I apply to med schools or just finish the core classes and take my MCAT.

I would strongly recommend that you finish your prereq classes (see above) before attempting the MCAT. If you don't have to, you don't really want to have to take the MCAT twice. Study the material that you have to and knock the MCAT out of the ballpark...it'll go a long way towards medical school acceptance. I don't know anything about the program, but I have heard good feedback about the Berkely Review material for the MCAT...something I plan to add to my arsenal.

4. Any other recommended post bacc programs in the area ?

You do not need to do a formal post bacc...sometimes the cost isn't worth it. Check into your local 4 yr schools and take care of your prereqs there. I'm sure as a Cali resident you will have better financial options doing it that way.

Thank you,

Ajay

I hope that helped somewhat. Welcome to OPM!

Welcome to the forum! No, you are definitely not to old! I am 31 and already have a BA and MBA. I start in August in order to finish a 2nd BA in Biology. You can major in anything you like as long as you complete the pre-req’s required for admissions. I would suggest majoring in Biology/Biotechnology/Che m, etc because with these majors you have much more exposure to upper division Biology courses which can help to boost your Science GPA. I prefer Biology because there are a lot of courses which I am very interested in such as Microbiology, Zoology, Virology and Histology. I attend a major University which has a lot of cool upper divion pre-reqs! In regards to the post-bacc program, its much cheaper to design your own. In my situation I can get a 2nd Bachelors in biology for around $7,000 total in tuition. Most post-bacc programs I have viewed charge 25-30k a year tuition. Furthermore, I have seen no evidence that they give you an edge over those who design their own program. If I was an admissions officer I would much rather see a person with a second Bachelors Degree rather than a post-bacc certificate. Just my 2 cents! :slight_smile:

Since you are in CA, and if you are seriously considering the Berkeley program, you might pay particular attention to the linkages they have. You certainly don’t have to utilize a formal program or get a second bachelor’s, but it has been suggested that the greatest benefit of programs like Berkeley’s is the linkages they form with reputable schools. Usually that means if you do very well in the post-bacc you have a leg-up on early admission to select medical schools. That’s a relative benefit, but I can imagine it might be beneficial if you are seeking to remain in Cali with its infamous environment of competition for admissions. JMHO.