Advice needed--Low science GPA feeling hopeless

Hello,
I have attended Florida State and began studying in the biology department. I have taken Chem 1/Lab (B+/A) Chem 2 (C+/B+) then Bio 1/Lab (C+/A) Bio 2 (C+/B+) and Calculus (C+). Obviously I am terrified to continue onto Organic chem and physics given my track record. After receiving a fourth C+, I have seriously reconsidering pursuing medicine and have felt extremely lost and depressed. I do not have any competitive chance at any medical school now, or even PA or dental school for those regards most likely. I am a second semester sophomore and am taking introductory business courses now as a solution, but absolutely hate it and regret now wasting this semester. I feel like I have ruined my time at college and have gotten no where academically. I followed my bio advisor’s advice in taking bio 2 and calc together which was the worst decision towards my med/PA/dental aspirations. Seriously need help and advice, feeling very defeated and confused. Thanks for reading.

Hi Krista!

I came across your post and felt the urge to comment, because I know how discouraging these things can feel. Your grades are important, but they surely aren’t everything. Going into college I thought that to become a doctor I needed all A’s, although getting A’s doesn’t at all grant a golden ticket into med school. (Also, OChem is hard, but it isn’t impossible. You can struggle with gen chem, but do well in OChem and vice versa). One needs volunteer work, clinical experience, personal growth, and more then education to show that medicine is the place for you. I encourage you to read “How to be Pre-Med” by Suzanne M. Miller to get a deeper understanding of what being a pre med is about and what it should be all about.

I’ve talked with medical students who were in situations like yours, but despite struggles early on, they made it on their way to med school. If you really want to be a doctor, like REALLY want it, you can do it. Think about how powerful it could be to talk about how you were able to overcome these obstacles and were able to dig deep to achieve your goals. I know the hill looks steep, but it’s worth the climb if medicine is for you. Rest assured you still have time! The end of your sophomore year isn’t too late to realize somethings may need to change in order for you to reach your goals. Take one day at a time, but also have tomorrow in your peripheral.

I hope that you stay optimistic for the future despite what’s been thrown at you so far. You can do it! Believe it, write it down, say it to yourself everyday.

I hope this helped just a little. Always speak truth to yourself about who you know you are, speaking from experience, it goes a long way.

All the best,

Alex

2 Likes