Advice needed regarding convincing spouse

This sure sounds like a frustrating situation for you, and your wife.

My personal belief is that marriage is not just about love, but also the business of starting a life together. It sounds like your wife is struggling to reconcile the life she pictured with the life she imagines/fears will unfold should you make this decision.

I imagine it would have been helpful if you had both laid out clearly your visions and expectations surrounding career/family/home/etc for the near and long term future before you got married - but of course, there is no time machine for you to go back and change that.

Since her fears have to do with finances/logistics, you might best assuage her by tackling those issues head on. Maybe meeting with a financial planner as a couple would be a good idea?

As a woman, let me tell you that it will be key to gaining her empathy for you to make her feel like you hear her fears. Her emotions are real and valid simply because she is experiencing them (even if they don’t seem completely logical). What you don’t want is to demonize each other or turn each other into the ‘enemy’ instead of approaching this as a team…

Just my two cents! Sincerely wish you the best of luck with this.

This became an old post in the mean time…

I officially caved in when threatened that she’ll take the unborn yet kid and she’ll leave me to follow my dream by myself. Yes folks, she’s. Conveniently pregnant - I’m the moron here. I literally burst in to tears after a long fight full of arguments and counter arguments from both sides.

I mean, from now on I’m just part of the rest of the world, watching at you guys how you do your thing. I’m so f’ing lame that I can barely watch myself in the mirror.

Happy schooling, leave your dream, run with it and don’t look back!

I’m out.