Advice on Applying for Medical School and Becoming a Doctor with a Prior Drug-related Charge

I have reached out to a couple of universities and have divulged the age (almost 7 years old) and nature of what are two concurrent (earned at the same time) misdemeanor drug charges (possession of an amount of a dangerous drug for personal use and possession of drug paraphernalia, which was a baggie that contained the drug) that will show up on my background check. **These charges cannot be expunged. In the state where I was charged, Arizona, their courts do not allow expungement for any charge. They only allow something called a “set aside,” which still leaves the charge on your background but notes that it was “set aside.”

1. I was told by both admissions departments that this would not automatically disqualify me for admission, but has anyone here known anyone who was accepted into medical school after pleading guilty to a drug charge?

2. The reason why I was using at the time is complicated and might make them question my current mental status. If I explained where my mind was at the time, I would have to paint the picture of the abusive relationship that I was in for nearly a decade (age 18 to 27)… I had reached a point in my life where I felt like the only escape from the isolation, physical abuse, and psychological abuse that I was experiencing was to end my life. How much of that should I openly share on my AMCAS and AACOMAS applications?

I’m sorry to have to unload something like this into the chat… Thank you for your help, guys!

Some information regarding who I am in this journey:
In 2019, I graduated summa cum laude (3.97 cumulative GPA) with an Associate in Science and an Associate in Arts degree. Also, since transferring to the university that I attend now, I have maintained a 4.0 GPA and will be graduating in the spring of 2022 with a Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies (Pre-med emphasis).

Current BCPM GPA = 3.89 (I earned a “B” in General Chemistry I…), but I will continue to take more biology and math-related classes to raise this before I graduate.

MCAT-wise: I am beginning to prepare now so I can take the MCAT by the middle of next year. I want to feel as confident as possible when I head into the test.

Volunteer record: I have spent time with local food banks, my last school’s food pantry, and in a no-kill animal shelter

Relevant work experience to medicine: I worked in an emergency room as a patient registration representative. Often, I was the fist contact that a patient had with hospital staff, and if a patient was incapacitated, I was often the first to approach family members and gather information so a wristband and stickers could be made that would make treating the patient easier. I dealt with people who were struggling with mental health issues and some who were experiencing immediate destress due to physical trauma and needed to be able to approach them in a way that would allow me to help them the best way that I could in my position…

Your grades are great. Just rock the MCAT and apply and see what happens. Just be aware that you’ll probably have to explain on the AAMCAS and in your interviews about your past criminal record.