Advice on second choice post bacc

Hi Everyone,

First I just want to say again this place is such a refuge for me when I am battling the naysayers. The support and information here is so beneficial

Another advice question for you all since it seems where you go can matter with the Adcoms.

As you some of you may have seen I wrote a post about Money for my post bacc. I was accepted to a 4-year university program, its a private college so its expensive but a strong program…and I am also can start Post bacc program in the fall that is less expensive. It is a four year university and is a night program for working adults and part of the university’s extenstion program. some courses are taken at a community college but still fall under the umbrella of the University’s program. Also the University extenstion program has just begun so its not tested per say, but the name has a lot of weight.

The second program is more cost effective but the first seems to have more weight given what I read in the Community College thread. I was wondering since both programs fall under the university level even though the later program is new…is there really a big difference. Especially because of the money situation.

My concern is about the adcoms and I want to put myself in the best position for medical admissions. Any and all advice welcome

thanks,

rb (aka soda)

Of course, some adcoms will push for a more prestigious school. I think, however, (and this is my opinion), that it is more important to get what you can out of the classes even if some of them are on a community college level. And also, financially you are going to take a big enough hit with medical school, and if you can get into a more affordable program, I’d do it.

Kris

Where you take the courses may make a difference at medical schools that are very familiar with those two institutions, but unless the one program is very well known nationally, I doubt it will make much difference at other med schools. Even though the courses are being taught at the CC, if credit is being issued by the four year institution, they will not be considered CC classes.

My biggest concern with the extension program would be the newness. Are the professors teaching the extensions courses the same professors that teach the regular courses? What about the content? Are they going to use the same texts/similar syllabi as the regular courses? How will the courses be listed on your transcript? Will they be listed as regular courses or as extensions courses? These are all questions you should be asking . . . your biggest concern (IMO) is that you are getting a good education in your courses so that you can do well on your MCAT. Of secondary concern is how medical schools will look at them.

Make a list of pros and cons for both programs. If you have a medical school in your area, see if you can talk to an admissions counselor and ask them their opinion. Their reaction might tell you a lot more than we can. I tend to think that unless the reputation of the first school is significant nationwide, that its not worth the money, but that’s just my opinion.

I think if both programs are at a 4-year university and you don’t have any big, black marks on your record to overcome (like old, bad grades), you can safely choose the less expensive program.

thanks for the advice all of you.

I will talk to counselors about these things as you suggested.

Also I will follow up with my (potential) advisor at the extension program with the other questions. I know that some of the classes are the same as the classes in the University, I also know that the extension program was trying to make sure that the teachers doing the classes at the CC were top notch.

To give you more information the extension program is part of the UC system in California.

Judy if you are around…I would love your take too.

Thanks again everyone, this definitely helps considering the money issue b/c yes, med school is going to be something else but I refuse to let that stop me when I get into medical school. (notice I said “when”)

well regarding the “old, bad, grades,” in undergrad a long long time in a galaxy far far away…I did get a C in statistics and a W on my transcript, but my undergrad GPA was 3.3. I graduated undergrad in 1995.

Now I also got a masters and I had 3.8 in my program both programs were non-science.

Knowing this…any more thoughts.

I had a 3.3 undergrad, too. Took my post-bacc at a not all that distinguished urban university (UW-Milwaukee) on an informal basis (no formal program, just took the pre-reqs), and I’m in med school right now and should probably be studying at this very moment.

okay, that really gives me some perspective. thanks samenewme.

I did not have grades in my undergrad, so can’t speak to that (UC Santa Cruz, in the old days); and did a CSU (SF State) for my post-bac, doing it informally like SameNewMe. (They now also have a more formal certificate program but did not when I was there.) I am also in med school and had good choices when I was deciding where to go. For California schools the CC/4-year is probably not a big deal; other places may not understand the way the CC system is set up in California, so take that into account. I think the CSU system can be a good compromise of 4-year college but dirt-cheap. If the extension course is going to put UC on your transcript that would be fine, I think. The name on the transcript is more important than the physical location of the courses.

Couple more questions to consider:

–will the extension school have any advising and will they do things like organize and send your letters of recommendation for med school? (i.e., will there be dedicated services for pre-meds or are you going to have to do everything yourself? this is what the private programs have going for them–lots of support.)

–does the extension school have a connection to a med school (e.g., UCLA extension to UCLA medicine, etc), any shared personnel, any special kind of credibility?

–i agree that the newness of the extension program is a concern, but I’d be more concerned from your end as a student: do they have their s**t together? is the grading going to be erratic? are professors going to have reasonable expectations?

–if the extension courses are mainly enrolling post-bacs you will lose one advantage of a four-year or CC program: other non-post-baccs in your courses. Post-baccs run the gamut but in schools where there are lots of us we usually occupy the top of the curve because we are insanely focused and on point, whereas 18 year olds whose moms want them to be doctors but they want to be DJs are not so much. Might consider asking whether courses are going to be graded on curves and who else is going to be a part of that curve.

–what are you going to do beyond schoolwork? for me the only important thing about my post-bac was that i got good grades. The things that got me great interviews and offers were the things I did besides pre-med coursework–i.e., research, seminar classes, volunteering, etc. If this is part of your vision then think about what program will make it more possible.

good luck

j

• orangesoda415 Said:
thanks for the advice all of you.

I will talk to counselors about these things as you suggested.

Also I will follow up with my (potential) advisor at the extension program with the other questions. I know that some of the classes are the same as the classes in the University, I also know that the extension program was trying to make sure that the teachers doing the classes at the CC were top notch.

To give you more information the extension program is part of the UC system in California.

Judy if you are around...I would love your take too.

Thanks again everyone, this definitely helps considering the money issue b/c yes, med school is going to be something else but I refuse to let that stop me when I get into medical school. (notice I said "when")

Since you say it is part of the UC system, you might think (as was mentioned in a post) about going to a "nearby" UC med school admissions office and seeing what their take is on the program. UCB has extension courses which are well thought of by med schools. Presumably the program you are talking about has been "vetted" by UC med school folks for it's academic rigor for med school. If your transcript from the program says "major university" rather than "local community college," it shouldn't make any difference (one would think) where the physical location of the class is.

Something to remember...not only are you taking the courses as pre-reqs for med school, you are also taking them for being well-prepared for the MCAT. :-)

Cheers,

Judy