Advice on taking the plunge?

Well… as stated in a previous post, I’m a 29 year old PhD student in Immunology hoping to graduate in the next couple months.

I’m really torn over whether I should take the plunge and apply to medical school or just do something else that will bring in some income (so I can take care of my parents and maybe raise a family). My primary concern is my age… if I were 25 even… I’d be more than willing to take the plunge, but as I see it now…

29-30 Post-Bacc

31-35 Med School

35-38+ Residency

The thought of being almost 40 and being close to $300K+ in debt in school loan sounds terrifying. I know there are others on here who are much “wiser” in age than I am and I’m not trying to discourage them in their endeavors, but I guess I can’t help, but to feel the way I do.

Any suggestion/advice/support would be greatly appreciated!

• dandoe123 Said:
Well... as stated in a previous post, I'm a 29 year old PhD student in Immunology hoping to graduate in the next couple months.

I'm really torn over whether I should take the plunge and apply to medical school or just do something else that will bring in some income (so I can take care of my parents and maybe raise a family). My primary concern is my age... if I were 25 even... I'd be more than willing to take the plunge, but as I see it now...

29-30 Post-Bacc

31-35 Med School

35-38+ Residency

The thought of being almost 40 and being close to $300K+ in debt in school loan sounds terrifying. I know there are others on here who are much "wiser" in age than I am and I'm not trying to discourage them in their endeavors, but I guess I can't help, but to feel the way I do.

Any suggestion/advice/support would be greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't let age keep you away if medicine is what you want to do. Unless you plan on throwing in the towel at an early age, let's assume you practice until you're 70...that's 30 years, almost a third of a century that you'll be able to practice medicine. And you figure if you take 10 years to pay your loans back, that's 20 years you'll be debt-free practicing medicine.