Advice on Timing

Hi Everyone. This is my first post, and I first off just want to say how nice it is to have a wonderful community like this. Like everyone on here, I am deciding to go back later in life and its quite the decision. Having the support of many people is very re-assuring.

Anyways, had a question on timing. I graduated undergrad in 2003 and have worked in the healthcare industry for the past 5 yrs, first doing some medical research/engineering and for the past three years, doing healthcare consulting for a strategy firm. I need to take the MCAT, and also take some of the pre-req courses. I took physics/math and one semester of chem as an undergrad, with all A’s and also got 5 credit hrs of bio from AP.

Will I need to retake any of those? And as far as the remainder courses, can I take some of them after the app deadline (between this fall and next fall when I hopefully enter) or do I need them all by the app deadline?? Just trying to figure out if I have enough time to apply to enter next fall. I am planning on leaving work soon (next month) to focus on studying/coursework.

Thanks in advance for the help and good luck to everyone.

Hi doc_hopeful!

welcome to the website and …

… slow down a little bit :).

To enter next fall/ which in the case of med schools is really summer 2010, you would have to apply this summer - June 2009. Ideally you would like to have your MCAT scores before you apply or shortly after - which means you would have to take the MCAT at some point this spring or early in the summer. As you can see, it sounds a little crazy.

I don’t think your AP bio will count. You did really well in physics and chemistry, so I don’t think you have to retake these. But you still have to take two semesters of Biology and two semesters of Organic chemistry - hopefully the university where you’re going to take them will accept your chemistry credits… I don’t think undergrad institutions are so particular about how long ago the prerequisites were taken.

• you want to make sure that you do great on your MCAT. you don’t have to take a commercial prep class to succeed, but you definitely have to study, review physics and chemistry and take lots of practice tests to make sure that you’re accustomed to the test format. If you take the MCAT in the spring 2010 and apply that summer, you can hope for matriculating in the summer 2011.

And you can use the time during application process to do some shadowing (I know you worked in a healthcare environment for quite a while now, but you want to make sure that you get some clinical experience as well) and volunteering.

Hope it helps,

Kasia

Welcome to OPM

As Kasia said, as tempting as it is, don’t rush yourself. Trust me, you’ll appreciate the time. And it’ll help you refine your app to make you as competitive as you can be.

The general answer to whether you’ll need to retake the prereqs are “YMMV.” Schools may see it differently, and it may pay to ask some schools you’re thinking of applying to what they think. IIRC, most schools “require” prereqs to be completed within ~5-7 years of when you’d matriculate, but don’t quote me on that.

In my experience, the old math and chem will probably count towards your requirements (ie you won’t need to retake), as long as you take relevant higher level chem stuff now.

My gut tells me that old physics will probably be ok, but I don’t have any experience with that. Either way, you’ll want to be sure that you’re comfortable with it for the MCAT.

The AP Bio may or may not count in and of itself. The best thing for you to do, though, might be to supplement it with two higher level Bio courses with labs (e.g. Bio2 & Genetics, both w/ lab). This doesn’t always technically meet what schools state, but it usually does, and schools do seem somewhat understanding about that. Again, YMMV.

I believe the hard requirement is only that your prereqs be completed by the time you matriculate, or the June before. However, completing them all would probably be good for your MCAT, as well as your general preparation. It would also give you more time to go through the whole process without rushing and perhaps tripping yourself up. Your goal is to do this once, and do it right.

Of course, your timing and courseload will depend on things like your ability to work, and your ability to live when you’re not working. Still, the timeframe you posted seems a little compressed. Keep in mind that it takes a year between when you submit your app and when you’d be accepted, and you’ll want to submit your app after taking the MCAT (having fully and completely prepared for it), and of course having taken most if not all of your prereqs.

Definitely take the time to browse or search through the forums here - there will be a lot of answers to questions you have, and likely some questions you haven’t yet considered.

IMHO, flesh out your timeframe more completely as you learn more about the application process and all of the prereqs. And keep us updated on your thoughts and progress. And good luck!

Ok this guy at OU told me that basically schools don’t care if you can take one or 2 classes and get an A, that they think “big deal you should be able to get an A if you’re only taking 1 or 2” he said they only care if you’re taking a full course load and getting A’s…is this true? Because I can’t afford to quit my job and get my UG full time right now so I was doing 2 classes, hopefully I’ll be able to work it up to 3 eventually (when I can work less hours at work) and keeping my grades at A’s. I was thinking that the adcoms would take into account that working full time, having a family and taking 2 to 3 courses while making A’s would be just as appreciated as a traditional college student taking a full course load while not working and having no family and making A’s?? Right??

• RAdamson Said:
Ok this guy at OU told me that basically schools don't care if you can take one or 2 classes and get an A, that they think "big deal you should be able to get an A if you're only taking 1 or 2" he said they only care if you're taking a full course load and getting A's....is this true? Because I can't afford to quit my job and get my UG full time right now so I was doing 2 classes, hopefully I'll be able to work it up to 3 eventually (when I can work less hours at work) and keeping my grades at A's. I was thinking that the adcoms would take into account that working full time, having a family and taking 2 to 3 courses while making A's would be just as appreciated as a traditional college student taking a full course load while not working and having no family and making A's?? Right??

If you are lucky, some schools might take this into account, maybe. But you have to jump through the same hoops as a traditional college student. The person at OU was right.

That traditional college student that you seem to disparage who is making a great academic record taking a full load, may also be working part time to pay for school, doing research in a lab, volunteering, and involved in a couple of groups on campus.

The bottom line...try to take three courses and do very well academically.

Cheers,

Judy

I can’t disagree with Judy. Of course, you can only do what’s possible for you. If full time coursework isn’t an option, do all you can, and strive to excel in it. Schools do want to know that you can handle a full load and still do darn well. In whatever way you’re able, demonstrate that to them.

Expectations for non-traditional students are on par of what is expected of traditional students. Judy very well stated it, take as many classes as YOU can possibly take and get A’s period.