Advice

I’m looking for some advice in reference meeting with an academic advisor (undergrad program). This will be the first time meeting with one. I was wondering what some of your experiences were; and what type of questions you asked? I have a list of questions myself. I just want to make sure I am covering everything. I’m still working on my core classes. I need to determine if I should be going the pre-med route or biology/life science.
Thanks!

Quote:

I’m looking for some advice in reference meeting with an academic advisor (undergrad program). This will be the first time meeting with one. I was wondering what some of your experiences were; and what type of questions you asked? I have a list of questions myself. I just want to make sure I am covering everything. I’m still working on my core classes. I need to determine if I should be going the pre-med route or biology/life science.
Thanks!

Having done long stints in Stanford’s academic pre-med advising office, just go in an ask whatever questions you have. Believe me, “we’ve” heard them all. And don’t worry about “sounding stupid.” It’s unlikely that you’ll have quesions that haven’t been asked before. Pre-med advisors are there to help and enjoy helping. (Makes us feel needed. :slight_smile:
Also, know that you don’t have to “go” one route or another. As long as you have the basic pe-med course requirements met, med schools don’t care what your major is. It can be biology, history, religious studies, etc. etc. etc. Being broadly educated is a “plus” when applying to med school.
That said, your own Ugrad institution may say, “If you want to be pre-med, we require that you be a XXX major in order to take those particular courses.” But this is not a medical school admissions requirement.
Cheers,
Judy

I’d say just ask what you want to know, and don’t sweat it. One of the mistakes I made my first time through the Underrgrad path was that I asked my advisor a really stupid question - and then was too embarassed to meet with him for a long time after that :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve changed a lot since then…
The mistake, of course, was not the question, but my reaction to it. D’oh!

Judy, thanks for your advise! I appreciate it.