After Getting Admitted, Has Anyone Declined...

…your acceptances for personal reasons and gone on to do something else?

I’m thinking about it.

I called the house but no one answered

For the last two weeks no one’s been home

I guess she’s through with me, to tell the truth I just can’t see

What’s kept the woman holding on this long.

And the white line’s getting longer and the saddle’s getting cold

I’m much too young to feel this damn old

All my cards are on the table with no ace left in the hole

I’m much too young to feel this damn old

Lord, I’m much too young to feel this damn old

I never did hear the whole story, but supposedly there was a woman who simply did not show up our first day of medical school and the rumor that went around was that she decided to pursue her other dream of being a classical musician.
So sure, it happens. You know the old joke about dogs chasing cars - what would they do if they caught one? (I thought about that joke a LOT when I was in the application process.) Well, most of us are elated and know exactly what to do when we catch the car. For others of us, it’s only when the “car” is actually in our clutches that we can really see that, ya know, I’ve got it but I don’t want it.
You gotta do what you gotta do. Just be very sure, because if it is hard to get into med school the first time, it’s really hard to get in on a subsequent try - you’d have a VERY hard time shaking an image of “flake.” (said with all due respect, because I know that this is a decision no one makes lightly, but the image of not settling down, being mercurial, etc. etc. is unfortunately not in your control)
Good luck with your deliberations! And remember, do NOT ditch the acceptance until you are 100% sure you’re doing the right thing, even if that is the day classes start. You’d be making some poor schmoe on the waitlist ecstatic if you did that.

Thanks for the input, Mary…maybe a deferral is the answer.

Just be aware that schools vary hugely in how willing they are to consider requests for deferral. Some seem happy to accommodate for whatever reason; others are pretty stingy. Some will want a detailed explanation of why you’re making the request; others not so much. In other words, don’t bank on it until you’ve found out the situation at your particular school.

Whatever that personal situation is it probably seems huge to you right now but your perspective on it is likely to change by May 15. Take things one day at a time. Talk to people outside of the situation. Don’t make any sudden moves.
Good luck.