Algebra/Trig or Calculus- Which is better

Hi all.

I’m hopefully waiting for acceptance into UTD’s Post Bacc program beginning this fall. I have a MA in clinical psychology so I have plenty of statistics and some neuro, but need ALL my science pre-reqs. I’m not in a hurry-- but I want to do it right so I am definitely planning to take a math course or two prior to enrolling in PHYS. My big delimna is…should I go the Algebra/Trig route and take Gen Physics or go the Calculus route and take Physics for Bio-med?

My big questions are… Which would be most helpful for medical school coursework… what math is most used in medical school classes requiring math? Which would be most helpful for the MCAT? Does it matter?

This is a wonderful forum- I am so glad I found it. I’m 41 and both feeling excitied and wondering “Am I NUTS??” I’d appreciate any help anyone could offer regarding getting off to a good start.

Danielle

Dani, welcome and no youre not nuts!!

I’m not sure how much I can speak toward the math situation as far as “medical school coursework,” because I’m not there yet, but I’ll certainly give you my 2cents in regard to the math/physics dilemma.

I’ve found that algebra and trig were incredibly helpful when I took general physics. Both present themselves a lot when you are facing those equations and calculations.

Also, I believe I have been told that calculus does not really surface all that much in medical school coursework OR the mcats for that matter …

I have my prep book in front of me and I’m seeing zero calc here. You’ll need to be on point with your algebra/trig to succeed in the physical science portion of the mcat.

As far as whether or not “it matters,” I think it certainly does!

I hope this helps!

• DaniDoesDoctor Said:
Hi all.

I'm hopefully waiting for acceptance into UTD's Post Bacc program beginning this fall. I have a MA in clinical psychology so I have plenty of statistics and some neuro, but need ALL my science pre-reqs. I'm not in a hurry-- but I want to do it right so I am definitely planning to take a math course or two prior to enrolling in PHYS. My big delimna is...should I go the Algebra/Trig route and take Gen Physics or go the Calculus route and take Physics for Bio-med?

My big questions are... Which would be most helpful for medical school coursework... what math is most used in medical school classes requiring math? Which would be most helpful for the MCAT? Does it matter?

This is a wonderful forum- I am so glad I found it. I'm 41 and both feeling excitied and wondering "Am I NUTS??" I'd appreciate any help anyone could offer regarding getting off to a good start.

Danielle

Hi Danielle and welcome!

Well pretty much if you are planning on taking calculus, you will have to take algebra and trignometry first. They are usually prereqs to calc. As for the general physics vs. bio-med physics, I would probably go for the general since you will need to have completed the calculus before taking this class. Also, on the MCAT, the physics will be trig-based, not calc based.

Unless you’re interested in radiology, you don’t need calc-based physics in med school or as a practicing physician.

You don’t need calc-based physics for med schools.

However, many med schools require a term of single-variable calc.

Cheers,

Judy

Thanks to all of you for your helpful feedback regarding my math question!!! Sounds like going the Algebra/Trig based physics route will be just right. I am glad to have found this group and plan to become a regular- if all goes according to plan.

Kudos to everyone for taking on the pre-med challenge-- I’m sure it is hard work at any age. At this point, all I can do is admire all of you- I hope to be “one of the gang” soon.