All or Nothing....

I will graduate in May 2006 with a BA in Psychology and am strongly considering med school instead of a PhD program. However, I live in the Dallas area and UT Southwestern is my one and only choice. I cannot relocate because I will be sponging off family while I am unable to work. I will also be spending a year or so just completing prereqs before I apply. Is this craziness or is anyone else in the same boat?

I think there is a DO school close to Dallas too. Applying to so few schools isn’t the best option, but it has been done.
Good luck,
Tara

The DO school is in Fort Worth in the heart of the cultural district.

The Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM) is located in Fort Worth. Here is a link to their website: http://www.hsc.unt.edu/

And I just found out today that they are working with the JPS health system in FW. Last year the private hospital near the campus closed.

One thing to consider is that med schools worry about your commitment to becoming a physician if you are willing to only apply to only one school.
Cheers,
Judy

I just finished the masters portion of my clinical neuropsych program and am moving to medicine, so I don’t think the move is crazy. I am doing my pre-reqs now.
You may want to consider living off student loans since the tuition for med schools in Texas seem to be a bit lower than other states. If not, you could do an MD/PhD program. Many that I have spoken with fund you during at least a of portion of that program.
Just out of curiosity, why the change? It seems a lot of us Psychologists to be are moving towards medicine…
adk