Allopathic or Osteopathic?

I’m trying to decide between the MD and DO programs? I’ve done my research and I understand the difference thoroughly. I’ve applied to Dartmouth(MD), UVM(MD), and UNE(DO). They are all very good schools.
It’s a tough decision. I’m extremely interested in the DO program because you receive all the training of an MD and in addition receive training in osteopathic manipulative medicine(OMM). I’m nervous about the reputations of DO amongst all physicians and other primary care providers.
Is there a prejudice against DO’s who are applying to allopathic residences? (whether or not it’s apparent)
How do MD’s truly view DO’s?
Are there any MD’s who wished they pursued a DO program instead?
Are MD’s allowed to receive OMM training? And, are they allowed to practice OMM?

Quote:

Is there a prejudice against DO’s who are applying to allopathic residences? (whether or not it’s apparent)

While there may be some prejudices in some specialties at some schools (notice the use of the word some), for the most part a DO graduate can attain a residency at an allopathic institution if they are competitive with their allopathic counterparts. The main thing is to do well in school and to score well on your boards. If you do that, choose your area of residency, and handle your interviews well, there are MANY allopathic residencies available.
Quote:

As in everything, this varies from person to person. The majority of the MDs I have met are very supportive of DOs and really don’t find reasons to criticize or ridicule them. As in all fields, there will be some ‘good old boys’ who still feel that MDs. However, this has changed dramatically and is continuing to do so.
Quote:

Are there any MD’s who wished they pursued a DO program instead? Are MD’s allowed to receive OMM training? And, are they allowed to practice OMM?

I can only tell you what I’ve seen first hand. There were 2 MDs at an osteopathic manipulation clinic in the summer of 2004. They had seen how OMT could be beneficial and wanted very badly to learn how to use manipulation in their practices. Does that mean they wish they had become DOs? Probably not. They just want to be able to supplement their available treatments with OMM(OMT).
Linda

Quote:

I’m nervous about the reputations of DO amongst all physicians and other primary care providers.

Your reputation will be what you earn & the initials behind your signate will have little, if anything, to do with it. Earning a solid reputation amongst your pts, colleagues, peers & allied healthcare staff will require a great deal of effort…and your degree will have minimal bearing. In a very few insitutions, there may be some residual issues, but those are out of ignorance.
By the way, I am one of several DOs who are residents at Dartmouth. Furthermore, DOs make up an even higher percentage of fellows here at Dartmouth than we do in the regular residencies.
Quote:

The intensity of competitiveness varies by program type (Anesth, GenSurg, OB, Neurosurg…) & by individual program. Any of the competitive specialties (ortho, anesth, nueruosurg, gs, derm - to name a few) will require strong grades, board scores & LORs. At some individual programs, being a DO may pose an additional, but no insurmountable, hurdle. No, this is not an exclusive feature of elite programs either - case in point: Dartmouth anesthesia - one of the top programs & very open to DOs. But DOs match into all of the ones that are allegedly challenging every year.
Personally, I feel the overwhelming majority of this myth is underpinned by DO students who allow themselves to be intimidated. It is far easier to claim prejudice than it is to admit to intimidation…
Quote:

I am & all of my DO colleagues are viewed as equals, presented with equal challenges & equal expectation. We are seen that way because we earned it…which is no different than what is expected from our MD colleagues.
Quote:

Are there any MD’s who wished they pursued a DO program instead?

I worked with 2 docs in MI (Tawas), as an MS3, who both were very intrigued by OMM. both took peridoc sebatticals to take OMM courses thru Michigan St. One of them confided in me that he had gotten into THE Ohio State & the DO school in OH & had preferred the DO program. However, his father, an MD, talked him into going MD…and he wished that he had chosen differently. His dad, by the way, was very ‘old school’.
Quote:

Are MD’s allowed to receive OMM training? And, are they allowed to practice OMM?

Yup, I think there may be billing issues for an MD unless they are OMM credentialed. Not being an MD, I can’t really speak to this.

Many Thanks to Linda and OldManDave for those awesome responses. This is a burning question I have had too… and now that I am finally at the point where I have to start selecting what schools I am going to be applying to, it is time to really evaluate whether D.O. or M.D. is the correct path for myself.