ALLOPATHIC VS. OSTEOPATHIC

Hi everyone,

First of all let me start off by saying that I had alot of fun at the OPM conference this year in D.C. and am very much looking forward to attending again next year. It is so refreshing to meet and mingle with people that have the same desire that I do in attaining their goal of becoming physicians! Oldmandave and Dr. Belle, I am definitely looking forward to picking both your minds again for some more good advice. Well enough of me rambling…the question that I have to ask is, Do osteopathic medical schools tend to favor or should I say work with non-traditional applicants when considering admission than alliopathic medical schools? One of the reasons that I ask this is because I did notice a large representation of vendors from Osteopathic schools and none from the alliopathic side of the house.

I’ll add my two cents as a failed US applicant to both DO and MD schools. Both types of schools have the same requirements in that they expect good, committed students, however, when I had questions, even complicated ones, I found the adminstration at the DOs schools, in general, more willing to take the time to talk to me like a human and a not just a number. The only MD exception to that, was UAMS in Little Rock, when the Dean answered the phone directly and talked to me for quite awhile. Just make your application the best it can be, and research averages to successful applicants as a start. Good luck.
Kathy

Quote:

Hi everyone,
First of all let me start off by saying that I had alot of fun at the OPM conference this year in D.C. and am very much looking forward to attending again next year. It is so refreshing to meet and mingle with people that have the same desire that I do in attaining their goal of becoming physicians! Oldmandave and Dr. Belle, I am definitely looking forward to picking both your minds again for some more good advice. Well enough of me rambling…the question that I have to ask is, Do osteopathic medical schools tend to favor or should I say work with non-traditional applicants when considering admission than alliopathic medical schools? One of the reasons that I ask this is because I did notice a large representation of vendors from Osteopathic schools and none from the alliopathic side of the house.

Hi there,
All of the allopathic schools in the DC area were invited to participate in our convention and set up vending tables. We happen to hit these schools right after graduation and in the only real “down-time” that they have. The pre-matriculation programs start the first week of June and then the admissions process starts up again.
I would wager that all of the allopathic schools had most of their admission’s people on vacation and probably did not have too many folks to spare. I also think that the Osteopathic schools are more willing to get out and “sell” themselves to prospective applicants. I know of no allopathic medical school that is looking for more applicants. With applications running the the several thousand for between 100-175 seats per class, they do not have to do much advertising. Some Georgetown’s masters program did send a representitive.
Most allopathic schools rely heavily on their websites and word of mouth to get the news out. Osteopathic medicine is relatively new to the DC area with Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine in Blackburg being one of the newest schools around. They are two years away from graduating their first class.
Do not take presense at the convention as being a lack of interest. I know that Howard and GW are at the forefront of accepting non-traditional students. I also know that GT and Maryland have graduated some older students too.
Natalie

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your kind words. All of us work very hard to make these conferences worthwhile for those who choose to attend. As you might have surmised, as OPM grows to include more folks (not just pre-meds, but also med students, residents & staff-level physicians), our conferences must evolve in focus & content to provide adequate “bang for the buck” for all potential attendees.
Anyway, I’ve rambled on enough about that…
To get to the meat of your inquiry - DO schools have a much longer history of accepting applicants from ‘outside of the box’. Early class photos at KCOM reveal women & minority students/graduates back when that simply was not done. More pertinent to modern times though - DO schools, by in large, remain open minded to non-trads. OTOH, there are several MD programs who have almost an equally long track record of openness to nontrads - I think will concur with that premise at Howard. Even though more recent, the preponderance of MD programs are learning & gaining from the benefits of a more balanced demographic of students. So, depsite being a ‘newer’ concept at MD programs, the seeds have been sewn & there is a burgeoning acceptance of we old geezers.
Now, that is not to say nor imply that being older or have years of healthcare experience will convey some sort of advantage to an applicant. In the world of med school applications, there is an expectation that an applicant will demonstrate their capacity to handle the rigors of medical school through a solid GPA & MCAT scores - it is simply unavoiable & an indelable expectation at ALL schools, both DO & MD. No, you don’t need a 3.8 & a 40…and for those of us with old, bad grades - the expectation is for you to produce new, strong grades to demonstrate your personal growth & maturation.
If and only if you have clearly demonstrated the aforementioned academic capacity, then all of the ornamentations will greatly strengthen your application: healthcare & other professional experience, life experience & the wisdom of age. Let me say that again for emphasis: If and only if you have clearly demonstrated the aforementioned academic capacity, then all of the ornamentations will greatly strengthen your application: healthcare & other professional experience, life experience & the wisdom of age.
The strength of DO representation at our conferences is resultant of other factors beyond recruitment, although that is in their vested interest. First, KCOM has been a huge supporter of me & my working to build OPM since I was a first year med student. Dean Gaber & Lori Haxton have been critical in helping me learn to put these things together, providing me with time off during med school to attend our conferences, providing presenters & generous financial support in the way of donations. VCOM & WVSOM both have prominent OPM members who are also students there…and I knew the Dean of VCOM pretty well too.
So, I would be very hesitant to interpret the MD schools absence as a lack of interest. Remember, even though non-trads are rapidly growing in acceptance, the concept is new as is the concept that there is a need to recruit the most attractive candidates. Programs are used to being the holder of the Holy Grail & leaving it to the applicant to attract their attention.

Allopathic and Osteopathic medical schools were invited to the conference, and in fact, three M.D. schools said they were coming and reserved tables. But, for whatever reason, they did not show up. However, I would not intepret this as them not accepting non-traditional students. The mantra you’ll hear on OPM is both D.O. and M.D. schools want good candidates who are committed to medicine, have strong academic credentials, etc. and so are less concerned about your age than about your qualifications.
Love,
Stacy

(Note that I’ve changed the subject header; I don’t see them as in competition with each other)
I have nothing but good impressions of the osteopathic schools so far, and mixed impressions of the allo schools. The allos seem to believe that they don’t need to market themselves, and I guess when they’re flooded already with competitive applications why should they bother.
Yet, the osteo schools do bother. It’s not like the osteo schools are sitting around saying, “Oh no we need ten more students to break even this year!” I’m sure they’re getting plenty of excellent applicants. Yet, they still reach out and look for people.
One of the schools represented at the OPM conference sent me a nice followup letter. Another osteo rep remembered me from the previous year’s conference and inquired as to my progress.
I would say that in terms of PR and outreach and general warm fuzzies, the osteo schools have it all over the allo schools, in my limited experience so far!

Wow
Now there is something i didnt think about. Maybe part of the perception i have about osteopathy has more to do with how the admissions people present themselves. I could see how someone could make a case that DO schools need to have more PR and marketing. Interesting stuff. I have found the admissions people at many of the MD schools i have called were a bit short with me, that may well be due to the mass volume of people they have to deal with asking questions.

Quote:

(Note that I’ve changed the subject header; I don’t see them as in competition with each other)
I have nothing but good impressions of the osteopathic schools so far, and mixed impressions of the allo schools. The allos seem to believe that they don’t need to market themselves, and I guess when they’re flooded already with competitive applications why should they bother.
Yet, the osteo schools do bother. It’s not like the osteo schools are sitting around saying, “Oh no we need ten more students to break even this year!” I’m sure they’re getting plenty of excellent applicants. Yet, they still reach out and look for people.
One of the schools represented at the OPM conference sent me a nice followup letter. Another osteo rep remembered me from the previous year’s conference and inquired as to my progress.
I would say that in terms of PR and outreach and general warm fuzzies, the osteo schools have it all over the allo schools, in my limited experience so far!