Allow myself to introduce...myself.

Im Tim, and like many of the other new posters I am happy to have found this site. Im 31, BA, MFA in figurative sculpture, recent brain surgery survivor, and general lover of life. I have only the spring semester left until completion of post bacc classes, MCATS in April, then my apps will go out for 07. Look forward to learning from all of you.

Hi Tim. I’m just a new person here, but thought I’d say hello anyway. Question for you: are you ever REALLY a former artist? Congratulations on almost being done with the post-bacc stuff-I’m just starting. See you around.
Sheryl

I guess Im Tim, formerly known as an artist, currently known as a premed student. Im hoping to blend the two things together in the future.

Tim,
Welcome to OldPreMeds! Regarding the above exchange…the concept of “former/no longer” an artist disturbs me. Do not give up such an integral part of your identity so willingly. Medicine, as wonderful & rewarding as it is, can be a cruel mistress. No matter how you give & sacrifice to her, she will always want more. So, to preclude you being sucked up into that melee, steadfastly maintain & sustain those wonderful elements that you who you are! Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE being a physician, but it is only a part of my identity - I am also husband to a fantastic lady & father to the most beautiful girl in the world (inside & out). Keeping that perspective/balance in my life has required constant diligence, but I would not change it for anything. Everyday I see people who have lost this ability and have become essentially uni-dimensional people --> I am Doctor & that is all I am & all else in my life must sacrifice & curtail their own lives to compensate. In my humble opinion, that is the poison pill that leads many docs down the road of malcontent, divorce & depression.
Again, welcome to OPM! We are most glad that you have both found us. Best of luck & success!

Dont be disturbed Dave, I havent let go of my former self, I have just shifted my focus. Trying to get the artist out of me would be impossible and also a major loss to my abilities as a scientist. Critical thinking is the key to both.

Quote:

Im Tim, and like many of the other new posters I am happy to have found this site. Im 31, BA, MFA in figurative sculpture, recent brain surgery survivor, and general lover of life. I have only the spring semester left until completion of post bacc classes, MCATS in April, then my apps will go out for 07. Look forward to learning from all of you.

Hey Tim,
That artsy stuff is going to come in handy during Gross Anatomy. You will be a sought-after person as you can sketch where the structures are located for the practicals. Seriously, welcome to the group.
Natalie
Just sold my surgical atlas for more than I paid for it because of the sketches.

Tim,
Welcome to OPM. I too, was more involved in the arts, music and social sciences for most of my life and agree with you that it has a very useful place in medicine. Best of luck as you continue towards medical school.
Kathy

Quote:

That artsy stuff is going to come in handy during Gross Anatomy. You will be a sought-after person as you can sketch where the structures are located for the practicals. Seriously, welcome to the group.

Hmm… I wonder if musical ability would come in handy as well, like with stethoscopes???