Almost done with Postbacc

Hi everybody! I didn’t know this awesome site was available to me until today. I’m so happy to find it. I’ve been doing postbacc program a year after college graduation. (It’s postbacc/ getting masters in biomedical science) My undergrad GPA was only 3.0 (meaning science GPA wasn’t even 3.0).To make excuses, I had to take care of my siblings during college years because my parents weren’t in the states with us. I started postbacc program in 2009 and now I have 3 more months to go until graduation. My postbacc GPA has increased significantly - 4.0, but sometimes I’m wondering if this postbacc GPA would even matter when I re-apply because I have this feeling that admission people would think postbacc program wasn’t as hard as undergrad…

I’m planning on retaking MCAT in 5/7 also. It is pretty rough because I’m also taking several classes this semester. Sometimes studying in the library gets rough and lonely, but finding this site will definitely motivate me. Thanks everyone for sharing your journey to med school

Welcome to OPM!

• kaylee Said:
Hi everybody! I didn't know this awesome site was available to me until today. I'm so happy to find it. I've been doing postbacc program a year after college graduation. (It's postbacc/ getting masters in biomedical science) My undergrad GPA was only 3.0 (meaning science GPA wasn't even 3.0).To make excuses, I had to take care of my siblings during college years because my parents weren't in the states with us. I started postbacc program in 2009 and now I have 3 more months to go until graduation. My postbacc GPA has increased significantly - 4.0, but sometimes I'm wondering if this postbacc GPA would even matter when I re-apply because I have this feeling that admission people would think postbacc program wasn't as hard as undergrad...

I'm planning on retaking MCAT in 5/7 also. It is pretty rough because I'm also taking several classes this semester. Sometimes studying in the library gets rough and lonely, but finding this site will definitely motivate me. Thanks everyone for sharing your journey to med school

welcome aboard.

Your post-bacc will count much more than your give yourself credit. Dont let FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) undermine your achievements.

I will suggest that you look at your MCAT schedule closely. MCAT is as important, if not more so, than GPA for non-traditional students. If you take it in the middle of finals or other course work, you may not have that focus you need. It isn't so much the content prep but rather having a week or two to just get into the mindset for the exam. If possible, you may want to consider putting it off for a month to early June. In my humble opinion of course.

Thanks Terra and Gonnif for warm welcoming.

gonnif, I definitely agree with you. The only reason why I rushed to register was that I wanted to apply as soon as I get out of postbacc. About 2 years ago when I applied to med schools, I started the whole process during september which wasn’t smart. Of course my GPA and MCAT weren’t good enough, but applying late didn’t help either. I only take night classes right now so I pretty much study MCAT during the day whenever I can. But the more practice MCAT I take, I feel more like changing the test date to early summer…and hoping it won’t affect me as much.

These are the courses I’ve been taking in postbacc:

genetics (because I didn’t do well in undergrad)

embryology (because I drop it in undergrad)

biochemistry I

biochemistry II

endocrinology

neuroanatomy

medical microbiology

health law and ethics

physiology (Withdraw!!)

histology (now)

pathology (now)

pharmacology (now)

total credit hours: 36

I’m taking histo, patho and pharm right now, which are going pretty well. Except those 3, I made all A’s…but last semester I registered for physiology and had to drop it - it was 6 credit hours and I wasn’t doing well. I wanted to retake it this semester but it wasn’t available for me either. I’m really worried about having W on my transcript, because I had another W from undergrad (embryology.

Do admission people look at your undergrad GPA more than postbacc? Or does it depend on different schools?

As for the EC, I don’t have any research.

-I’ve been shadowing this physician I knew for 7 years total, starting from high school.

-worked as a clinic as a translator and assistant for 6 months (had to leave for grad school)

-teaching piano and science to immigrant children

-created this non-profit organization in 2003 for feeding the homeless on every saturdays (that also I had to quit for grad school - somebody else is doing it)

That’s pretty much about it. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give an idea what I’ve been doing.

I don’t know what I’d do during this summer after graduation. I will be eligible for being a TA for neuroanatomy. Or I was suggested to become an associate teacher at local community college for basic biology. But at the same time, I’m wondering if I have to do research because I don’t have that experience (except for a semester long experience back in undergrad). Should I look for a job or research while I apply in summer?

Again, sorry for the long post. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks everyone!