Am I on the right track? Applying at 33?

Hi, I’ve been perusing the posts on this website for a while now and have finally decided to join in. A little about me: completed 2.5 years of medschool before moving to the US 10 years ago, got side tracked for one reason or another and ended up on the public health track with an MPH and have worked in public health research for the past 8 years. To be honest, I thought that I could be happy working in public health, but last year I came to a realization that it’s not as fulfilling as medicine was for me. My passion is really working with people, as a physician. So, encouraged by the posts on this and other websites, I have decided to come up with a plan for becoming a medical student. I’ve taken the itinerary of my life and decided that my 3.8 graduate GPA cannot make up for my poor grades in chemistry as an undergrad, combined with my advancing age. So, I decided to do the following:

Step 1. Complete a Masters in Biomed Science program

Step 2. Re-take inorganic and organic chemistry

Step 3. Study for and ace the MCAT

Step 4. Hope for the best.

I am currently in my first semester of accomplishing Step 1: studying full-time while working full-time. I wish I could just be a full-time student, but leaving my job is not an option as I am married and have a 4-year old. I am planning to reduce the expense somewhat by moving in with my parents next year, which will hopefully enable me to focus entirely on schoolwork. At the rate I am going, I am looking to complete the master’s at 32, take a year for my chemistry/MCAT (see steps 2 and 3 above) and apply at the ripe age of 33. Is it even feasible? What chance do I stand applying at 33 with previous enrollment in a medical school (albeit overseas), 2 master’s degrees, research background, career in public health? Any comments/advice/suggestio ns would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to OPM. I have interspersed some comments below

• avodemas Said:
Hi, I've been perusing the posts on this website for a while now and have finally decided to join in. A little about me: completed 2.5 years of medschool before moving to the US 10 years ago.

I presume that you have a bachelor's degree from outside the US? Leaving a medical program, will raise a flag about commitment on your new applications. However, if you left do to family issues and immigration to US, that should be dealt in your application narrative clearly explaining it all.

• avodemas Said:
got side tracked for one reason or another and ended up on the public health track with an MPH and have worked in public health research for the past 8 years.

Having an MPH and more importantly, working in the field for so long should be an asset in your application.

• avodemas Said:
I have decided to come up with a plan for becoming a medical student. I've taken the itinerary of my life and decided that my 3.8 graduate GPA cannot make up for my poor grades in chemistry as an undergrad, combined with my advancing age.

Generally, graduate GPA, especially an MPH carries very little weight as it not viewed as a hard science. Also, many students with weak undergrad got for MPH thinking it will help, so the value has been watered down. Your Public Health experience will hell

• avodemas Said:
So, I decided to do the following:

Step 1. Complete a Masters in Biomed Science program

Step 2. Re-take inorganic and organic chemistry

Step 3. Study for and ace the MCAT

Step 4. Hope for the best.

This may not be the best path. The Einstein Medical School site has the below requirements and they could mean that 30 credits of prereqs must be taken and I am not sure if the course in a Biomedical Masters will fill that requirement. You need to get some guidance from admissions staff.

"Students who have earned baccalaureate degrees outside the U.S. or Canada are required to complete at least one year of formal coursework in the sciences (about 30 credit hours) in an accredited American college or university prior to making application to the College of Medicine."

• avodemas Said:
I am currently in my first semester of accomplishing Step 1: studying full-time while working full-time. I wish I could just be a full-time student, but leaving my job is not an option as I am married and have a 4-year old. I am planning to reduce the expense somewhat by moving in with my parents next year, which will hopefully enable me to focus entirely on schoolwork. At the rate I am going, I am looking to complete the master's at 32, take a year for my chemistry/MCAT (see steps 2 and 3 above) and apply at the ripe age of 33. Is it even feasible? What chance do I stand applying at 33 with previous enrollment in a medical school (albeit overseas), 2 master's degrees, research background, career in public health? Any comments/advice/suggestio ns would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

It is quite feasible to apply at 33. I think you need to clearly cover the required prerequs and take perhaps more of them before taking the MCAT

@gonnif Thank you for responding to my post. These are all valid points. I should, however, clarify a few things. The decision to leave medical school was extremely difficult, but I had no other option to ensure safety for my family other than leaving the country. Upon arrival to the US, I was able to transfer 2 years worth of medical school coursework to a bachelor’s program. Completed the remaining 2 years while working 4 jobs to support my family and graduated with a BS in biology from a US institution. I was on the premed track and completed the basic science reqs: Physics, Orgo, Calculus, Biology. The entry level courses were transfer credits with upper level completed stateside. I was really hoping to go to medical school shortly after graduation, but it took the INS 6 years to process my permanent residency and I couldn’t go to a medical school in the Caribbean because it would have affected the residency requirement for the permanent residency - a classic catch-22. By the time I became a permanent resident, I had already completed an MPH program and had a FT job/family, bills, etc.; and really gave up on my dream of becoming a physician. I’ve come full circle and am working my way to give my dream a chance. Thank you.

Hi Avedomas

I hear you. My situation is not so dramatic, but like you I did the first year of med school and things didn’t work out well either.

After coming to the US, it took about 6 years to finally get a Green card.

Better late than never and good luck for the future.