AMCAS - Changes in activities?

For the AMCAS app, under work/activities - what is the best way to input something that changed during its course?

For instance, if I was working full time at a job, and then changed to part time at the same position?

Or if I started something as volunteer and it later became a paid position?

I suppose I could input each as its own event, but that would reduce the total # of things I could show. Alternately, I could put the job as, say “full time paid,” and then mention in the description that it changed…

Thanks for any suggestions.

I think I would enter it as however you spent most of the time there (full time, paid or part-time volunteer) and then indicate the change in the description.

Thanks, Amy. I asked AMCAS, and their response was about as noncommittal as you can get:

1.) AMCAS does not verify the activities section. This information is more for the medical schools. You may want to contact them for more information.

This was in line with their response about whether one should mention traffic tickets in the legal history section:

2.) You may want to check with your county or state about this matter. Every jurisdiction is different and they would have the most up-to-date information.

Adam FWIW every application for anything that I’ve completed SINCE going to medical school specifies “other than traffic tickets and fines” under the question about legal actions. Don’t even think about traffic tickets!

Mary

who just completed another set of forms just the other day… and has been warned to expect a whole 'nother pile… this attending stuff is hard work!

• pi1304 Said:
For the AMCAS app, under work/activities - what is the best way to input something that changed during its course?

For instance, if I was working full time at a job, and then changed to part time at the same position?

Or if I started something as volunteer and it later became a paid position?

I suppose I could input each as its own event, but that would reduce the total # of things I could show. Alternately, I could put the job as, say "full time paid," and then mention in the description that it changed...

Thanks for any suggestions.

My thought would be to put it in as it originally started (for the header information), and then at the end of the description put something like "(became part time 09/1993-10/2004)." Or volunteer, or whatever.

You just want to make sure that the AdComms understand that it changed, and in what way. They'll then know that you are being careful to be "right on" with what you did, and the dates/average time involved. Squeaky clean. :-)

Cheers,

Judy

Thanks, Mary and Judy. I’ve been pretty good other than those tickets ;).

For the Activities, if I put in the original information, should I input the full date range?

That is, if I worked FT Jan-June, and PT July-Dec, and I keyed it in as 40 hours a week - should the date range be Jan-June, or Jan-Dec?

I had a misdemeanor “minor consuming alcohol” citation back in 1984 (my first weekend at college, no less). I plead guilty and paid a $1 fine + court costs (~$50), and I had to attend an “alcohol awareness” class. So, should I list this in response to those criminal background queries? I’ve listed it on every job application that has asked, but it has been so long ago now that HR people actually laugh about me actually listing it. I can’t even find the cause # in the state database anymore. The ethical neuron in my brain says, “list it” but my more pragmatic self says, “who is gonna give a rip about a minor violation that occurred nearly a quarter century ago?”

Any thoughts?

Tim

Tim, I have the EXACT SAME thing-- mine was from 1991, I dutifully recorded it in AMCAS. It felt crappy that one night’s mistake 16 years ago is still dogging me. And you’re absolutely right, most of the interviewers just chuckle over it. I think they actually appreciate the honesty.

You already know the right answer, my friend-- that is why you have been listing it on your job applications.

You’re right, it really is a no-brainer as far as I’m concerned. I’m just concerned that I am being overly up-tight. Never-the-less, it is interesting to see if the same checksum comes up on other platforms.

Thanks,

Tim

If I were an interviewer, I’d be less concerned about the 23-year-old violation, and more concerned with that horrendous IT pun . But that’s just me!

Pun/joke/metaphor? But yeah, either way, you’ve got it right.

• pi1304 Said:
For the Activities, if I put in the original information, should I input the full date range?

That is, if I worked FT Jan-June, and PT July-Dec, and I keyed it in as 40 hours a week - should the date range be Jan-June, or Jan-Dec?

I think I'd put it in for whatever the real annual average/week might be (e.g.20 hrs/week ??) for the full date range, and at the end of the description put in (FT, Jan-June; PT, July-Dec.) Or something similar.

Cheers,

Judy
  • jcolwell Said:
  • pi1304 Said:

I think I'd put it in for whatever the real annual average/week might be (e.g.20 hrs/week ??) for the full date range, and at the end of the description put in (FT, Jan-June; PT, July-Dec.) Or something similar.

Cheers,

Judy

That's what I did, and it seemed to work fine.