AMSA health insurance

I’m curious if anyone here is using AMSA’s group health insurance and what they think of it so far. It is cheaper than some other deals out there and pre-meds can join.

Thanks,

• ttraub Said:
...and pre-meds can join.

Thanks,

I took a look at the policy and compared it to my employer's plan. My employer's insurance is more comprehensive, but a lot more expensive too (I just never see the premium since it comes off the top of my paycheck). If I weren't already working, or on my spouse's plan, this one would certainly be an enticing option. Also, my employer's package doesn't cover overseas travel (I travel overseas quite a bit to visit my spouse's family). It looks like a great deal for students without other coverage. It's almost tempting to pick up for the things that it covers that my current policy does not.

Anyone else?

Tim
  • T_Forsythe Said:
  • ttraub Said:
...and pre-meds can join.

Thanks,

I took a look at the policy and compared it to my employer's plan. My employer's insurance is more comprehensive, but a lot more expensive too (I just never see the premium since it comes off the top of my paycheck). If I weren't already working, or on my spouse's plan, this one would certainly be an enticing option. Also, my employer's package doesn't cover overseas travel (I travel overseas quite a bit to visit my spouse's family). It looks like a great deal for students without other coverage. It's almost tempting to pick up for the things that it covers that my current policy does not.

Anyone else?

Tim

There's an even cheaper policy over at SOMA, the osteopathic student association. This is great news because we are looking at very high rates to self-insure my family. My wife doesn't work, I'm in school full time, and my school insurance ends when my post-bacc program officially ends (end of the summer), even if I take more courses.

I wonder how they can make these policies available when the national computer associations I used to belong to can't even offer a health plan in Massachusetts.

Please consider an HSA. I am self employed and have an HSA through Golden Rule (part of United Healthcare). For my wife and I premiums are $136 per month. Ages 33 and 28. The policy has a high deductible–because I was tired of paying for insurance I was not using. My ded. is about 5,000 per year and covers everything over 5,000 (no coinsurance–watch the policies for that stuff) I obtained the policy via the ehealthinsurance.com website and have been very pleased. Even though I have never met my ded. the policy has afforded my wife and I serious discounts on routine office visits and prescriptions. For instance, a $200 lab charge was reduced to $33. Definetly worth considering and there are many deductible limits–naturally, however, the higher you go the less you pay. Over time you will save a ton by a little self insurance. Moreover, the HSAs come tied to a bank or investment account that you can elect to make monthly deposits in so that when you are sick you can use the debit card to pay for doctor visits–if the money never gets used you can use it for retirment like a traditional IRA. Most companies have a 1 year rate guarantee–some, like Assurant, have a 2 year guarantee. (Hope this helps)

The problem with Mass. and a few other states is that they have laws requiring health insurance companies doing business there to insure all people regardless of their ailments. Naturally, this shifts the financial burden of their ailments to you. Many companies have, therefore, bowed out of the market or are charging rates that are, simply put, unaffordable. You can thank your legislature for that one. By the way, I am not an insurance sales person. Even worse, I am a lawyer.

Bill

• wcliffa Said:
The problem with Mass. and a few other states is that they have laws requiring health insurance companies doing business there to insure all people regardless of their ailments. Naturally, this shifts the financial burden of their ailments to you. Many companies have, therefore, bowed out of the market or are charging rates that are, simply put, unaffordable. You can thank your legislature for that one. By the way, I am not an insurance sales person. Even worse, I am a lawyer.

Bill

Yeah, unfortunately your HSA is not available in Mass. It's a result of our wonderful entitlement system designed to help the poor. If you want to just buy catastrophic coverage here, you're out of luck. This is the problem with blanket legislation that is poorly thought out. Frankly I don't get it. A lot of middle income earners should want catastrophic, because it's so much cheaper than paying $1000+ per month just to cover regular checkups and minor procedures. I'd rather pay $200/month for catastrophic, and just keep a reserve of several thousands for incidental expenses that come up.

I would like to see health care providers move to a two or three-tier fee system: the insurer fee, the self-payor fee, and the income-adjusted fee. This would probably accommodate the mix of patients better than the tyrannical one-HMO-to-rule-them-all that we have now.