An introduction

Hello, everyone! My name is Amie and I’m 26. I’m married, and have a wonderful two-year-old daughter who just started Montessori today (Slightly proud? Perhaps, yes.).

Since I can remember, I’ve wanted to go into medicine. I dressed up as doctors and surgeons for Halloween, had a play medical bag, “Doctor Barbie” and a kit for building a Lego hospital. I remember the day our family friend/physician gave me one of his old stethoscopes that he had shortened to fit me. (I still have it buried somewhere in my daughter’s toy box.)

I was a pretty stellar student until my mother was killed in a car accident when I was in high school. My grades fell from straight-A’s to D’s and F’s and pretty much never recovered completely. I got so far behind in mathematics, I had to re-take Algebra 2, and dropped pre-calc because I couldn’t hack it. My high school “guidance” counselor (if he’s qualified to hold that title) told me at the start of my Senior year that I should reconsider my applications to universities, and maybe go to a trade school “or something,” and handed me a stack of paper work for cosmetology classes. With my family in disarray, and no one really supporting me, I couldn’t really pull myself out of the rut. Even though I did really well in Biology and decently in Chemistry (I took the highest levels my school offered)and completed my through my 12th grade year, I was missing a math credit and not allowed to graduate.

I got my GED, worked really hard, networked well, and was eventually hired by a biotech/nanotech company in executive-level management. A lot our research centered around medicine. I found myself focusing more and more on the medical research than my own sales and marketing department. I couldn’t get enough of the medical journals that filled up our “junk mail” box. Unfortunately, the company collapsed in the recession, and I’ve been unemployed ever since.

With not finding another suitable job, I’ve toyed with the idea of going into nursing, but it’s not really my bag. Through much soul-searching, I’ve decided I’m going to return to school for pre-med. Though the idea is terrifying, I know it’s what I want to do, what I should have done all along had I not let everyone - including myself - talk me out it.

Tomorrow I have an appointment to speak with someone at Purdue University for non-traditional students. My husband is wonderfully supportive and maybe a little too confident in my abilities, but I’m thankful to have someone believing in me as I’m trying to believe in myself. I have a daughter now, and I want to show her that no matter what, you should never settle for less than being great and doing what you want to do.

I hope I can learn from all of you who’ve bravely gone before. Good luck to all of you!

Welcome, Amie!

You’ve got quite the inspirational story, and it’s marvelously well-written! That’s a good sign

Keep us updated with your journey!

Welcome Amie!

I also started university at 26. It took some personal adaptation, and I needed to take an extra year to complete my “four year” degree, but it can be done.

Let us know your progress!

Welcome!! We are excited to have you here… you are definitely among friends. There are so many people to learn from and walk alongside on this forum, and I’ve found it to be one of my most valuable resources in my pre-med journey.

Thanks for reaching out, and I can’t wait to hear about your progress. Congratulations on your decision to begin–that often takes more courage than any other step you take along the way!!

Welcome and congrats on your decision to follow your dream!

Welcome aboard and Good luck!!

Thanks so much for all your encouragement!! It warms my heart.

My counselor created a track for me: I’m going to take some non-degree-seeking classes at Purdue (which are going to cause us all to eat Ramen for a while - no financial aid for such a thing, of course) to get some pre-reqs, and then enter in public health policy. I’m rolling the ball in January. Just enough time, I think, to wrap my noggin around it all.

• Amie Said:
I'm going to take some non-degree-seeking classes at Purdue (which are going to cause us all to eat Ramen for a while - no financial aid for such a thing, of course) to get some pre-reqs.

That is pretty much how I re-started my education. I did all my lower level prerequisites at out local community college, but since I had gone to college 'the first time' I had too many credits to qualify for financial aid. So I paid for every class.

(Going to the University at this point was not a good financial option because I only had 3 semesters of PELL left, which I needed for the semesters I couldn't take at community college - which were going to be more than twice the price per credit hour.)

Getting those pre-reqs out of the way feels really good, and they are always a good investment for whatever path you end of taking. Welcome to OPM's!