And I thought I was clueless . . .

Quote:

As a non trad I have to play up my strengths over my weaknesses, just as a trad student might play up that they are young, full of energy, enthusiam, and more open minded than an older student might be. It’s all on how you come across.

Agreed. The mistake I see non-trads make is assuming that simply racking up years is equivalent to gaining valuable perspectives and experience. Being older can definitely give you an advantage in terms of maturity, life outlook, perspective. But if you come across as thinking, “I am more mature / insightful / valuable because I am older,” you are NOT going to make the good impression you hope for.
Mary

You’re absolutely right Mary. I hadn’t planned on laying out my speech on why “older is better though”. I just think certain things will come across naturally during the interview if just be yourself. Of course if you’re a 40 year old going on 14, that will show too…

Quote:

Agreed. The mistake I see non-trads make is assuming that simply racking up years is equivalent to gaining valuable perspectives and experience. Being older can definitely give you an advantage in terms of maturity, life outlook, perspective. But if you come across as thinking, “I am more mature / insightful / valuable because I am older,” you are NOT going to make the good impression you hope for.

Mary

Quote:

Sorry if my statement came across as youth-bashing. I agree, it really comes down to the individual. As a non trad I have to play up my strengths over my weaknesses, just as a trad student might play up that they are young, full of energy, enthusiam, and more open minded than an older student might be. It’s all on how you come across.

Hi there,
I don’t think that being younger or older has anythng to do with being “open minded”. You really need to be very careful about stereotyping anyone because of age because you are “coming across” badly.
Natalie

And that just proves my point… The point? Well two points actually.
The first is that there are many students who haven’t a clue about the entire process of medicine. Some have simplified it to a point that it seems manageable to everyone when in fact taking call Q3 is not for everyone. Clinical Medicine is not for every student who graduates from medical school but then again there are research docs who would do better teaching than actually floundering in research. Age is simply that. It is not a guarantee of anything and as demonstrated can lead to misunderstandings which siques into my next point…
I don’t believe that receiving the coveted acceptance letter is really that much of a mystery. All things being equal it comes down to the interview. We can have the best of intentions but we open our mouths and spew some age discriminating garbage and POW!..rejection letter. I’m not speaking from experience but from the experience I’ve seen.
Relating it to what I’m familiar with…the sailor of the year or quarter boards. You sit there in you faggotty white unifom…(too much “A few good men”)…and have to answer all these questions ranging from the weather to military etiquette to history to current issues to “why should we choose you?” I’ve seen sooooo many guys/gals blow it and then point out that the someone who made it was chosen because of popularity, scores or whatever. Their presentation on that day was better than yours.
Bringing this full circle…older applicants who have had life experiences which they have grown from which will directly relate to medicine and can present it without bad mouthing others will make it in. How does your life experience of being older prove to me that you will make a good student and eventually doctor?
Sorry for the rant but I’ve bumped into wannabe OPM’s who because of someones oversimplification are on the wrong path. They would be better served being PA’s or NP’s or lawyers or any number of things but not doctors. The attitude of these 4 individuals is one of deserving to get an acceptance because of their age and of course with age comes wisdom…? I’ve seen traces of this thinking that non-trads are better applicants and thereby better doctors. I want as much diversity in race as in age and gender when I finally get to medical school. Make medical school about the illusive “teamwork” concept we hear about but rarely see.

You will negatively surprised if you expect extra points on your app merely due to advanced age. However, by living & experiencing “life & career” you have the opportunity to build your portfolio of life & professional skills and those can be used to profound advantage. For any of you who play poker - you can only play the hand you were dealt; you cannot play the hand of the other players (in some locales, this will get you shot). So, take your cards & play them to the best of your ability.
To throw in another cliche: if 5 hunters are running from an angry, hungry bear, do you have outrun the bear? No, only to outrun the slowest hunter. How does this apply to this situation? I dunno, just thought I’d throw it in.