Another factor in p/m timeline

I see lots of threads where people are deciding to take more time to finish prereqs. Totally makes sense in most situations.

But, I’m just wondering, where does the career change factor play into this for other people? How do you stick it out in a career you are no longer enthralled with through 3+ years of prep work?

I only have 3 more classes after this summer, so I don’t think I am jumping the gun anyway by applying next June. But, dear Lord, if I couldn’t apply in June, I don’t know what I would do. . .

Well, in order to finish my prereqs (ochem/physics) and get ready for my MCAT in April, I am going to go back to the “poor student” status, watching my pennies and trying to get some tutoring gigs so that I can apply this June. I really considered staying in my position and working, but I work nights and it has been killing me, especially my so called time off.

As long as I put my best into this, I’ll accept this change in lifestyle. The advantage I have that many other nontrads may not have is I’ve no dependents other than my 4 furry felines.

My backup plan (ala Plan B) which we all should have is that I will make sure that I am also working towards a Masters degree so that I can teach. If medicine doesn’t work out for me for any reason, I want to be able to help those students where it is a possibility.

• Krisss17 Said:
I am going to go back to the "poor student" status, watching my pennies and trying to get some tutoring gigs so that I can apply this June.

Ha! That would be my preferred option.

I don't have a back-up plan if I don't get in. . .why wouldn't they want me?
  • AliJ Said:
  • Krisss17 Said:
I am going to go back to the "poor student" status, watching my pennies and trying to get some tutoring gigs so that I can apply this June.

Ha! That would be my preferred option.

I don't have a back-up plan if I don't get in. . .why wouldn't they want me?

Well, I read where if you have a backup plan, chances are you won't need it...but if you dont, well then you are up the creek w/o a paddle!

Well, I did find out that I might have an opportunity to do a work study gig at the CC I went to...there is an advisor's office from my uni where I can provide office support to the advisors that help students wishing to transfer. I figure that should cover my rent for the school term.

Wish me luck! Otherwise it is going to be a lot of PB&J sandwiches!