Any advice for someone who has been out of school for 10 years???

Hello all…

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me…

I am 31 years old and a graduate from the University of Florida, fall class of 2000. I finished with a Bachelors of Science, Microbiology and Cell, with a 3.77 GPA.

I was following the pre-med track during school…extracurriculars, volunteer work, taking an MCAT prepatory course, etc…then thought I wasn’t cut out for the entire process. I graduated but dropped the rest, proceeding to travel for 6 years… I now have been working as a server/bartender during and after college…

The problem is I always go back to thinking that I strayed from my intended path.

I have no idea where to begin…do I start a post-bacc program?..Will the classes I took 10 years ago even be accepted? Do I need to find a life advisor?

All kidding aside…I am very interested in pursing this dream and would like to see if anyone had any input…

Thanks for any help!!!

Sidenote…I only posted my stats to show I can do this…

I would advise you to start slow - take a class or two and see how you feel about going back. you will need to take most of your premed courses anyway, especially Bio, which has had important changes in the last decade. You should also go volunteer again to see if you have the taste for the work. You will have to work on your self-assessment, meaning you need to convince yourself that you are cut out for this. I know I had to!

• campkel Said:
I would advise you to start slow - take a class or two and see how you feel about going back. you will need to take most of your premed courses anyway, especially Bio, which has had important changes in the last decade. You should also go volunteer again to see if you have the taste for the work. You will have to work on your self-assessment, meaning you need to convince yourself that you are cut out for this. I know I had to!

Rule 1: Take a Breath.

Learn the entire preparation and application process and as advised above, self assessment. Redoing basic bio and advanced courses will be needed, as you learn to be a student again. You may look into a master's level post-bacc.

I think campkel has a good point that we don’t frequently talk about. Basic chemistry, physics and orgo don’t change over the years, but biology has. I agree that it is prudent to retake bio.

I also agree with the recommendations to become educated on the process, then start with a single class to dip your toe in the shallow end. By starting out with a heavy load, you risk irreparable damage to your academic record.

I agree with going slow and take it easy. Taking things too fast will ruin your GPA; that that and too much volunteer work abroad – were my mistakes in post-bacc and I’m paying the GPA price right now.

• nahani2 Said:
I agree with going slow and take it easy. Taking things too fast will ruin your GPA; that that and too much volunteer work abroad -- were my mistakes in post-bacc and I'm paying the GPA price right now.

Rich's Ten Rules for Nontraditional Students

Rule 1: Take a Breath

Rule 2: Trust Your Gut

Rule 3: It Depends (everyone's situation and solutions may be different).

Rule 4: Don’t Bite Off More Than You Can Chew

Rule 5: Do Not Risk Bad Grades By Taking Too Much

Rule 6: The MCAT Is Your Friend (say it with me, the MCAT is your friend)

Rule 7: Learn To Be a Student

Rule 8: Premature Application (don't apply before you are ready)

Rule 9: The “6P” Principle (proper planning prevents piss poor performance)

Rule 10: The FUD factor: Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt

The “FUD” factor gets me every time

Thanks for these tips, Rich. I’m going to take it slow and see if I can raise my GPA, but I have so many units that my overall GPA won’t go up by much. Maybe if I rock the MCAT, I can convince my state’s rural medical school to take me.

In all probability, I will still probably get rejected at the U.S. schools, and so I expect to end up at either a Caribbean Medical School or a Mexican Medical School. No matter, international rural health/emergency medical relief is what I want to do, so perhaps this fate is fitting.

I’m trying to not let FUD get in the way of doing my best in school, in studying for the MCAT, and when I apply. I realize that if I get rejected – which I am fairly sure will happen given my age and my GPA --, I will reapply. I hope that extensive volunteer work and a nice high MCAT may mitigate some of rejection. I am willing to give at least 3 tries before giving up.

• Test Prep NY Said:
Heyyy.......

Thank you for the obnoxiously glaring SPAM.

Unpaid Advertising—deleted