any opms out there that are happy they are docs?

I want to hear from people that were older premeds and now are doctors. Are you happy or you regret it? Why?

Zach,

I think you’re going to be hard pressed to find any OPM’s that are NOT happy. I would venture a guess that most, if not all, of us knew that medicine was a true calling. The fact that we’ve all done other things from being a full time homemaker, engineer, RT, Fireman, Teacher, etc., only supports this.

We have about 5 OPM alumni now and that number will be significantly growing in the next few years.

Zach,
If you have any doubts about how many formerly OPMs, then med students, now doctors, are happy with their decisions, just go to the physician introductions and the Q&As with OPM physicians forums. You will find plenty of positive feedback from Natalie Belle, Mary Renard, and, of course, OldManDave (aka Dr. Dave Kelley)!
As for me, I’m still a lowly third year med student at the age of 54, and I can’t wait to get out there and be a practicing physician.
Good luck! And visit OPM forums often. There’s lots of great support and networking opportunities that can be priceless!

from a rising fourth year med student:
I think I’ve written this elsewhere, but: The question, “are you happy?” is too narrow, I am finding. I find that after having wondered whether I’d be more happy or more miserable in medical school, the answer was, yes; and that overall, the answer is that I am just MORE. More happy, more miserable, more busy, more engaged, more stressed, more challenged, more defeated, more victorious, more. I suspect that the same will be true in my career as a doctor; in the end, I did this because I was getting bored at work, and the one thing I can say is that I am not bored.
joe

I am not in Med School yet. But at this point i am happy that i finally made the decision to do it and started on the path. No more possibility of regret.

As a freshly-minted physician, mine may not be the voice of experience your looking for but since I am a doctor, I figured I’d toss out my answer.
Yes. I’ve been convinced I did the right thing from the moment I entered my first anatomy class and just got more convinced every day. I’ve had an absolute blast each day I’ve been a doctor.
Despite my rather glaring lack of experience, I leave the hospital each day knowing I’m a better doctor than I was when I came in that morning. I can’t think of anything I’d rather be doing with my life.
Maybe the best way I can put this is with the answer to the familiar “what would you do if you won a million dollars” question. I’d do exactly what I’m doing (other than worry about repaying student loans of course).
Take care,
Jeff