Anyone else interested in MD/PhD???

Just curious to see how popular this program is among nontrads.

I was considering applying to MD/PHD in VCU COM. But everyting depends on my MCAT score. For now I’m not expecting great things…
I’m not 100% sure if I want to do dual degree. It’s a long commitment.
Are you considering applying for a dual degree program?

Quote:

I was considering applying to MD/PHD in VCU COM. But everyting depends on my MCAT score. For now I’m not expecting great things…
I’m not 100% sure if I want to do dual degree. It’s a long commitment.
Are you considering applying for a dual degree program?

I am (in 2007 or 2008, still undecided) and VCU is on my very short list too. I DEFINITELY need to get my MCAT score up!

I may do it! Epidemiology probably, or perhaps Virology PhD. It will take quite a bit longer but my knowledge will be that much stronger.
Plus, PhD students get a break on tuition at many of the places I’m applying. This is not the case with MPH students, for example, who generally have to pay twice.
Matt

I don’t know how many schools have this program, but OSU recently received a NIH grant to promote training of Clinical Research. The program involves some intensive research and stats classes either after your first or second year, and then after your second year, you take a year and do a MPH in Clinical Research. My understanding is that not only is tuition covered by the grant, but that participants also receive stipends.
No idea how long the grant is for or if OSU will continue the program after the grant period is up.

I am planning to do a MD/PhD program, my deal is that I may split them up and start my PhD first and complete during summer breaks and all that. I thought about Epidemiology but now I am thinking more along the lines of something more administrative. I am still considering the program at PCOM but they only have one student in the PhD program.

Ajna, you do know that you’ll only get one summer break (between first and second year) during med school, right? After you complete your second year you generally have several weeks off to study for and take Step 1, and then shortly after that (usually early July, though it varies by school) you start your clinical rotations and you don’t have any more long breaks.

I’ve been thinking about doing an MD/PhD for some time, but I’ve gotten much negative feedback from admissions counselors and officers, who feel that I would be jeopardizing my chances at acceptance by trying to undertake such endeavors at my age (I’ll be 45 when I apply to med school for the first time.)