Anyone else....

feel like they’ve accomplished very little (okay, almost nothing) or contributed very little back to their community when they look at the personal chronology part of the application? Yes, my most important job right now is being a Dad and raising children that are contributors to society and have the tools to deal with life by age 18. Agreed.
But other than that and working, I realize that I’ve done very little that will carry on. Sure, being a youth director at church for 3 years, some clinical work, but other than that, it’s been engineering all the way. Am I looking at this wrong?
It did motivate me to do more for the community in terms of involvement, etc., but it was kind of depressing…

DaveinDallas,
I don’t know what others think, but if a person chooses to have children, raising them to be productive, positive people IS contributing. I say that because I have the experience right now, of my oldest sons’ friends, a brother and sister, who are living on their own for one week, jobs at minimum wage, in an apartment with not a stick of furniture because their mother didn’t focus on raising them. To their credit, they are trying their best, but my point is, being a good parent is a huge contribution to society that many people don’t take seriously. Just my two cents.
Kathy

Dave,
I, too, feel as though I don’t have much volunteerism to brag about during much of my professional life, which is one of the reasons I’m turning to healthcare to try to do something more redeeming.
I have done lots of musical stuff for the community, e.g. unpaid concerts in nursing homes and local festivals and sitting on committees of local music and dance organizations, but basically my career has been about making money. That’s why I’m changing.
I suppose that if you compare me with someone who’s got a resume loaded with community volunteer activities some of us are going to come up short, but there’s got to be something to be said for the altruistic attitude of giving up stable income for 8 years and going deeply into debt in order to retrain as a caregiver who’s going to help the sick and injured.
As someone else has noted, raising children has got to count as well. I’ll also be in that situation starting January 2!!! Anyway, good luck with everything!

Quote:

Dave,
I, too, feel as though I don’t have much volunteerism to brag about during much of my professional life, which is one of the reasons I’m turning to healthcare to try to do something more redeeming.
I have done lots of musical stuff for the community, e.g. unpaid concerts in nursing homes and local festivals and sitting on committees of local music and dance organizations, but basically my career has been about making money. That’s why I’m changing.
I suppose that if you compare me with someone who’s got a resume loaded with community volunteer activities some of us are going to come up short, but there’s got to be something to be said for the altruistic attitude of giving up stable income for 8 years and going deeply into debt in order to retrain as a caregiver who’s going to help the sick and injured.
As someone else has noted, raising children has got to count as well. I’ll also be in that situation starting January 2!!! Anyway, good luck with everything!

Yeah, I was commenting to someone today that if I had known how much fun raising kids was, I probably would’ve agreed with the wife to have them earlier. I’m having a blast taking my son to soccer and then playing jump rope with my daughter afterwards. It’s a lot of fun. Take lots of pictures and enjoy every minute of it. You get to participate in that miracle called life. You probably know the biological basis for it, but now you get to watch the miracle happen before your very eyes. Make sure you feel the baby move if you can. That was awesome! If it’s ok with Mom, make every OB appt. that you can. Be an involved Dad. The rewards are out of this world. Think about it. Today I had a sweaty 6 year old boy walk up to me with a KoolAid mustache after soccer practice, throw his arms around me and say,“Hey Dad”. Truly priceless…

You know what Dave, that is all the reward in life you’ll ever need. It is great isn’t it? I feel for people who haven’t had that experience yet, it is really amazing.
As for ADcoms, if you put it in the right light, the family thing will be a good point. Sure you can’t pull a 20 hour week in the ED, but spending time coaching, or working with your kids after school is a decent endeavor. They want to see the medicine in not the only thing in your life and that you are balanced. Ask Nat what happens when someone gets too stressed out and has no outlet.
Its not pretty.