Anyone in Texas

hi,
Just wanted to introduce myself. Let me just start by saying I’m so psyched that there is whole community of crazy people like me.
I’m a chemical engineer who’s been making his living as an IT professional for the past nine years. Medicine has always been one of my dream careers, but I didn’t pursue it back then partly for financial reasons, but mainly because I didn’t think I couldn’t handle the hard work. Well, after a couple of stints at internet startups I’ve learned that I can subsist on pizza and diet cokes and only five hours of sleep. I came to believe that I can actually make it through those crazy residency years.
I’ve been taking biology courses at Houston Community College for the past two semesters, getting A’s in all of my courses. I will have to say that some of the courses I took at HCC were not as rigorous as I would like. I have to review the subject for the MCAT. I have yet to take Organic Chemistry again, but I’m planning on taking the April MCAT just to see how much brain power I have left. Needless to say I’m reviewing the material on my own.
Is there anyone on this forum located in the Bayou City? If so I hope to exchange ideas on courses and studying for the MCAT and other premed stuff.
Well, I’ve rambled on long enough. I look forward to learning from y’all.
Mike

Mike,
welcome to OldPremeds! Yup, it is a long tough road, but if you have chosen to take it for the right reasons, are willing to do the work & make the sacrifices that will be required of you - then you have as good a shot as any of the rest of the applicants. Know this - there are no magic combinations of MCAT/GPA that will guarantee an admission to medical school. Furthermore, there is nothing that you cange in your past. So, if like the majority of us, you have prior academic transgressions, take ownership of them - do not make excuses! Never, never, never be apologetic for your age…sell it as an asset.
Now, one thing you mentioned in your post does concern me. You mention taking the MCAT w/o OChem & to see how much brain power you have left. I don’t know if I am intepretting your comment correctly, but it appears that you’re thinking of taking the MCAT as a test run. What ever you do, DO NOT DO THIS! Every time you take it is recorded on your MCAT transcript. So, if you blow it - which is the most likely outcome if you are not 110% prepared - those scores will haunt you. All programs prefer the first set of scores to be your best & only set. Taking the MCAT multiple times can count against you. So, why create hurdles to an already challenging & somewhat capricious process?
If you want to get the feel, take one of the freebie setting offered by virtually all of the tesp prep companies. No harm no foul for those.

Hi Mike–I’m also in Houston. I did most of my postbacc in San Francisco, but did the MCAT here. I’m currently waitlisted and considering strategies to strenthen my app in case I need to reapply. Like you, I was in IT–software project management, in my case. I work at Baylor.

I am in Houston. Depending on where you live you may want to try taking courses at U of H. I am taking a couple of courses at the downtown campus right now if you want any information about professors, etc pm me.

How many postbacc credits did you get before you apply, if you don’t mind my asking? I’m thinking of applying when I have 20-24. Do you think that would be enough, if as a chemical engineering major I had taken all the prerequisites except biology before? Even though I had taken most of those ten years ago?
thanks for your time.

Quote:

Hi Mike–I’m also in Houston. I did most of my postbacc in San Francisco, but did the MCAT here. I’m currently waitlisted and considering strategies to strenthen my app in case I need to reapply. Like you, I was in IT–software project management, in my case. I work at Baylor.

What you said made a lot of sense, Dave. I’ll make sure I’m 110% ready before I register for the MCAT. Thanks.

I did all the required, minus ochem II. I felt comfortable enough to do the MCAT without it. However, I wish I’d done one more semester of some high-level stuff, including biochem.
For some reason, we postbaccs feel we must rush in–and there is really no need. To fully prepare & give yourself the best chance is really a good idea. Show you can carry the heavy load.
I had engineering/software background, & didn’t retake the calc & some other things–but did take bio because it has so much new material. I also redid the chemistries because I needed the refresher. However schools were open to me not retaking classes that I’d had in my major if my work background also supported it.

Hey all you Texan’s. I’m glad to see us well represented.
I made the committed decision in July 2002 and will be entering this August. As a mechanical engineer, my advice is to rock the MCAT. Engineers sometimes have lower GPAs than the new grads going straight to med school. I know mine was a few tenths lower than the average matriculant. Most schools won’t give you any added benefit for the tough major. Just rock that darn MCAT.
Good luck to all of you

I like to ask a follow up question if you don’t mind. Just how good is ‘good’ on the MCAT, for nontraditional engineer types like us? Is 33-34 good enough, or do we really need to hit this one out of the park to compensate for our nontraditionalness?
I’m asking because I’ve been taking online freebies and my score hovers around 32-34. I’m sure I can bump that up a notch this August after I finished Orgo II, but I would’ve missed early decision deadlines by then.
Thanks y’all.

Quote:

Hey all you Texan’s. I’m glad to see us well represented.
I made the committed decision in July 2002 and will be entering this August. As a mechanical engineer, my advice is to rock the MCAT. Engineers sometimes have lower GPAs than the new grads going straight to med school. I know mine was a few tenths lower than the average matriculant. Most schools won’t give you any added benefit for the tough major. Just rock that darn MCAT.
Good luck to all of you

Anyone interested in getting the Texas OPM’ers together in our spare (ahem) time?

I would like to get together during spring break. I’m in Dallas and could travel to Houston or Austin.

I am! I am in Houston.
Michelle

when is your spring break? Houston sounds like the destination. I’m happy to organize a place–welcoming any input from the gang.

Spring Break starts on 12March05 and goes to 20March05.

I’m in if it’s on the weekend.

Quote:

Spring Break starts on 12March05 and goes to 20March05.

I will make two suggestions to have an OPM Texas Chapter meeting . One is the Hard Rock Cafe in Houston. The other place I suggest has a name but it is lost in my memory cells. What I do remember about the place is the waitstaff wear shirts that say, “Coporate Coffee [edit]!”

Hi. To give everyone advance notice, let’s pick time/date now. How about Sunday 3/20–to allow our Dallas friend to get here & away, I’m thinking it should be 2-ish.
Current suggestions for location: Hard Rock, & an unknown but anarchist coffee shop. Also Rice Village in Houston might be a good locale, offering coffee shops & restaurants.
Comments?
Barb

The 20th after 1pm would work for me. As for the venue I vote for Hard Rock cafe.
Mike

Date and time sounds good. As for place, do we have a thrifty option? The Rice Village may offer such a place. Any thoughts about this locale?

HI! I will be in TX (UTArlington) this summer!