Anyone willing to give advice on my school list?

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has time to take a look at my school list and give me advice about adding and changeing. My background: 29 year old with a 3.7 under grad, 3.6 postbac (some classes taken at community college), 3.9 for my DPT at Emory. Plan on MCAT july 8th (practice scores 32 but with a low PS, hopeing i can bring it up to at least a 10). Excellent letters of rec and of course plenty of time around docs (only in PM&R though and other practiceing at the hospital where I work). I live in GA and want to stay here if I can but if I cant my husband wants to go somewhere warm (but not FL or alabama) or in the northeast where his family is from (picky picky picky). The list below is what I am starting with, any others I missed or should remove. Thanks for reading I know this was a long one

*Boston University School of Medicine

*Eastern Virginia Medical School

*Emory University School of Medicine

*Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California

*Mercer University School of Medicine

*Morehouse School of Medicine

*The Medical College of Georgia

*The University of Vermont College of Medicine

*Tufts University School of Medicine

*University of Maryland School of Medicine

*University of North Carolina School of Medicine

*University of Virginia School of Medicine

*Vanderbilt University School of Medicine

*Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

*Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine

*Wake Forest University School of Medicine

The only person that can really decide which is better is you. Go to each website and read about the school. Call the school’s admissions office and see if they can hook you up with a current student so you can ask questions.

There are some Osteopathic Medical Schools in the South if you are interested in such as

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine: Georgia Campus

Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine

West Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Bradenton Campus (FL)

Nova Southeastern College of Osteopathic Medicine (FL)

Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (TN)

You’ve got quite a range of schools here, which is good. I agree with Gabe that you will want to spend time researching the schools and talking with people who attend now, or have attended, to get their takes.

In doing this, try to think about what matters most to you. For some people, the prestige of the institution matters, for others it doesn’t. This does matter somewhat when you’re applying for residency, but to what degree it’s hard to say. What do you think you will need for support services? This is a good thing to discuss with the counseling center at each school–many people don’t realize they will need help until they are already in med school, so it’s a good thing to ask about. How are courses taught such as small group vs. large group, systems-based, how are courses tied together, etc? How do they handle the clinical years, including getting the rotations you want when you want them, time off for board prep and residency interviews, etc? How do people do on boards?

Those were a few things to think about in addition to what you mentioned with location. Keeping the family happy is important as well. One thing I strongly believe is that if you’re attending medical school in the U.S. you’re going to get a good education if you work hard regardless of where you attend. Some places just require you to handle more of it on your own.

Good luck!