Application complete! Except...

I am finally all done with my pre-reqs and everything is in to AACOMAS (I only want to be a DO) except my MCAT score won’t be out till Sept 19th. While waiting to start hearing from schools I registered for Anatomy & Physiology and Second Year Spanish. I also got a part-time job working at an osteopathic clinic teaching movement skills for their rehab patients. I hope for some interview invites to post in those threads soon - I applied to DMU, AT Still in Kirksville, Western, Ohio and North Texas. If the school in Yakima gets final approval and starts accepting applications I may apply there too.

Good luck, Craig!

Everything is in (except MCAT). I went to a presentation at my states osteopathic CME conference and there were representatives there from the Yakima school and Pomona. We had nice long chats as everything else was in seminars. If the financial aid can work out (they won’t have federal funding till after the school year starts but have “bridge loans” in place) at Yakima it sounds like they will have some experienced teachers that want to move and live in the Northwest. Just waiting around.

My MCAT came in today - it seems pretty good considering that the only date I got was about two months before I was planning to take it and while I was taking the whole year of biology in 9 weeks. So I took two practice tests and got a lot of sleep for prep. My scores were 9P, 10B, 9V (which is weird because I got 11 and 12 on the practice tests but was distracted by someone furiously typing loud next to me. My writing sample was scored at M. Now I hope that aacomas will transmit my apps on to the schools I want. The waiting game begins.

I received secondaries from everyone. I turned them around in about a day and I am hoping to get some interview invites soon!!

I am reading everyones progress and hoping it all goes well. I am definitely the old guy in my Anatomy and Physiology class, even in my second year Spanish class - I better get used to it.

Good luck Craig!

Hopefully you’ll post some good news soon!!!

Kasia

Sweet Craig! Best of luck & success to you. Which programs did you apply to?

I applied to Kirksville, DMU, Western, Texas and Yakima. I have sent in the secondaries for all of them except Yakima - I really liked the folks that I met from the Yakima school but the secondary is expensive for me and I want to see if I receive any interview offers.

My secondaries were sent in about a week ago so I should hear something in the next month or so. I don’t know if any of these schools screen before sending out a secondary.

My two youngest kids are writing essays for their college applications so it is “editing central” here.

• cragmire Said:
I applied to Kirksville, DMU, Western, Texas and Yakima. I have sent in the secondaries for all of them except Yakima - I really liked the folks that I met from the Yakima school but the secondary is expensive for me and I want to see if I receive any interview offers.

My secondaries were sent in about a week ago so I should hear something in the next month or so. I don't know if any of these schools screen before sending out a secondary.

My two youngest kids are writing essays for their college applications so it is "editing central" here.

Excellent! 2 questions:

1) Why DO? You will most likely have to articulate an answer in your interviews so you might as well practice here.

2) There's a DO school in Yakima? Whose is it?

Yakima’s a brand new osteopathic school, taking 100 students next fall. The president used to lead Kirksville. It’s amazing to see the osteopathic expansion going on right now. I wonder how many more schools are going to open up in the next few years.

Why DO?

I never actually considered going to allopathic medical school. When I was a Waldorf elementary grades teacher I collaborated with our school doctors on a research study concerning the treatment of certain learning/movement problems with cranial manipulation (we would like to continue this study at some point in the future). These doctors were both DO’s and we chose them to be our family doctors 20 years ago. I have had a lot of contact with them and I actually work at their clinic now as a exercise therapist while taking A&P and 2nd year spanish and waiting to hear about interviews. One of the docs is a physiatrist and I have seen what a full range of treatment (including OMM) can do.

The school in Yakima is opening next fall and has some preference for Pacific NW applicants and it is relatively close to Portland. A potential drawback for me is that the federal financial aid won’t be in place until after classes start and although the school is arranging some sort of bridge financing - it may make the financial aspect too difficult. I wouldn’t mind being a pioneering student however and after speaking with two of the faculty from there during the Oregon state osteopathic meeting I was very impressed. It’s called the Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences.