Application MCAT

Hi, it’s been a while since I’ve posted but wanted to see if anyone’s in the same boat…

O.K. so I submitted my applications on June 30th after months of preparing the personal statement etc, apparently it’s a little harder to narrow things down when you’re a non-traditional student that’s already had a couple lives - anyway, I feel good about the apps. All my LORs are strong and have been received. I think the experience thing is pretty good with the last 6 months in a community health clinic, and some previous experience, etc, GPA is great. I’ve been working with an adviser at the school I’m hoping to attend and she knows my application will be there soon - only problem is I’m scheduled to take the MCAT on July 30th now because I keep pushing the date out. I just can’t seem to review all the material as quickly as I had hoped. I’ve been working on it for 2 months now, but I had forgotten so much from physical sciences - how does anyone remember all this stuff? Is my memory going? Am I just too old? Does anyone else have this problem and if so what’s your strategy? I feel like this test is the last piece to my dreams. I’m just hoping I can get it together and the end of July won’t be too late!

You should still be in good shape, but DON’T change your MCAT date any more. As it is your scores will be submitted at the end of August. That’s not late, but it’s not as early as you started out by submitting your primaries in June.

True, you have covered a boatload of science to prepare for the MCAT, and it’s a lot to review. Chances are you won’t be an expert on every topic you encounter on the exam either. Remember, it’s not a Final Exam but rather an aptitude test. So, review…take many practice tests…and then go forth with the same confidence you have in the rest of your application.

I agree, don’t change the MCAT date. You’ll never feel completely ready for it.

I thought the EK books were pretty good for preparing for the PS. They highlight the equations you need at the end of the chapters and don’t overload you with too much detail.

If, on the other hand, you want detail, I’ve read that the BR books are really good.

• ViceroyPlain05 Said:
You should still be in good shape, but DON'T change your MCAT date any more. As it is your scores will be submitted at the end of August. That's not late, but it's not as early as you started out by submitting your primaries in June.

True, you have covered a boatload of science to prepare for the MCAT, and it's a lot to review. Chances are you won't be an expert on every topic you encounter on the exam either. Remember, it's not a Final Exam but rather an aptitude test. So, review...take many practice tests...and then go forth with the same confidence you have in the rest of your application.

A definite must, and make sure they are the AMCAS tests, not any others...you'll have a better idea of the formatting of the test.

Best of luck!

Thanks Everyone! I have been using EK for everything + referring to some Kaplan books & old notes as needed. I am going to really put my attention on cementing in the major concepts and doing practice tests. Does it make any sense to start doing practice tests before I’ve finished all chapters of EK review for all subjects?

I would think that it might be better to do the review and then take the practice tests. Then after the practice tests you can see what areas need extra TLC.

Definitely start taking practice tests now. It’s not your first exposure to the material, and the tests help you focus your study on concepts where you need to brush up.

EK has a 10-week sample home study schedule on the website. Refer to it for a general order for how to study and when to take practice tests - both abbreviated and full-length. For instance, on days I took FL tests, I didn’t have any more study energy except to review specific questions/explanations which I had missed. The next day I had a list of lessons to review, and I could observe my progress as concepts came back to me and I improved on the chapter questions.

• ViceroyPlain05 Said:
Definitely start taking practice tests now. It's not your first exposure to the material, and the tests help you focus your study on concepts where you need to brush up.

EK has a 10-week sample home study schedule on the website. Refer to it for a general order for how to study and when to take practice tests - both abbreviated and full-length. For instance, on days I took FL tests, I didn't have any more study energy except to review specific questions/explanations which I had missed. The next day I had a list of lessons to review, and I could observe my progress as concepts came back to me and I improved on the chapter questions.

My bad...OP, I'm sorry I didn't read your initial post carefully...since you have already applied, you've taken the prereqs. In this regard, I definitely agree with Viceroy and work on the practice tests now as well. Sorry about that, I must have thought you hadn't done all of your prereqs.