Application to Medical School with two children

Greetings -
I would glady welcome any and all advise. Here is my story:
I am considering saving two to three years salary, taking a study course for the MCATs and applying (2004/2005) to a local medical school.
I have two children (2 and 1), and a great job - I own my own consulting firm.
After completing my BS, I applied to a few medical schools and received first and second interviews, but never acceptance. I suspect this was due, in part, to a less than strong application package (3.4 GPA BS Biology with Honors, Published research and 10/9/9 MCAT {verbal, bio, phys}) and perhaps less than passionate desire to attend.
I am unsure anyone else has done this - but I'd welcome suggestions. For instance, should I work on my college stats? Is focusing more heavily on my MCAT score worth the time? I have great business contacts that I'm sure would write excellent letters of recommendation for me - but should I begin a shadowing project - spending time with a doctor on the weekend?
Thank you in advance.

Hey Flyinghigh,
First, welcome!!! Second I’m happy to give my advice but since I’ve never applied to med school and am 1.5 years away from being able to apply you should take my opinions for what they are worth. Regarding the savings thing, it seems like whatever you can save is great. It means that much less debt to deal with when you are done. It’s great that you may be able to save as much as 2-3 yrs.
As far as getting into med school, it seems like the fact that you got multiple interviews shows that your academic record is probably adequate. My geuss is that it was your self described " …less than passionate desire to attend." that came through in the interviews and was the determining factor in not gaining admissions. Taking and acing some upper division courses certainly can’t hurt. Since I believe that there is a general three year limit on the age of MCAT scores your focus may best be spent here.
Last, when you do get interviews for your next round of applications, let your new found enthusiasm shine through. I am assuming of course that you have developed a nw found passion for medicine.
Good luck

QUOTE (flyinghigh @ Jan 22 2003, 01:12 PM)
Greetings -
I would glady welcome any and all advise. Here is my story:
I am considering saving two to three years salary, taking a study course for the MCATs and applying (2004/2005) to a local medical school.
I have two children (2 and 1), and a great job - I own my own consulting firm.
After completing my BS, I applied to a few medical schools and received first and second interviews, but never acceptance. I suspect this was due, in part, to a less than strong application package (3.4 GPA BS Biology with Honors, Published research and 10/9/9 MCAT {verbal, bio, phys}) and perhaps less than passionate desire to attend.
I am unsure anyone else has done this - but I'd welcome suggestions. For instance, should I work on my college stats? Is focusing more heavily on my MCAT score worth the time? I have great business contacts that I'm sure would write excellent letters of recommendation for me - but should I begin a shadowing project - spending time with a doctor on the weekend?
Thank you in advance.

Hi there,
It looks like you have defined your problems: lack of enthusiasm that came across during interviews; GPA stats on the lower edge of those of accepted students (average GPA today is around 3.6). Your MCAT scores are in the box but you may be flirting with having to retake the test because of the age of these scores (investigate this before you apply). With the GPA of students climbing instead of dropping, you may want to look into taking a course or two before you apply such as graduate-level biochem, physiology or immunology.
Be sure to apply to enough schools on this round. I know you have indicated that you are applying to a "local school" but you may have to cast your net wider since your GPA is on the lower side. The quality of the medical school that DOES NOT accept you is pointless in furthering your medical career. Otherwise, you are on the right track.
You are wise to take an MCAT prep course as the test has changed this year. Shadowing is not going to hurt you either though I suspect that your experience with your business contacts may be enough if the rest of your package is excellent. Concentrate on making a case for a medical school for a medical school to accept you. I know that if you have a sales background, you can put together the ultimate package for medical school acceptance. You want to distinguish yourself from the rest of the pack in a positive way! rolleyes.gif
Good luck with your journey
Natalie

njbmd:
Thank you for your reply. You mention post-bac work (biochem, etc.). What would you recommend as a good jump start? I've been thinking in technology now for ten years.
Thanks again.