Applying for 2009

So, I’m another '09 applicant. Scared and trying to do it the right way. I have a quick question for all of the experienced and wise people out there: What is the latest date you would recommend to submit a 2ndary? I know it’s always the sooner the better, but between work and 24 applications, I’m concerned. Thanks!

Submit them NOW!!!

If it means taking a day of from work and getting them down, do it!!! I had my secondaries filled in and submitted as they were coming, which is late July and August. Don’t wait any extra day! For some schools it’s already kinda late!

Kasia

An exciting update: I interviewed on 9/17. I left the interview extremely disappointed, not liking my chances for acceptance. Yesterday I got an acceptance phone call - I’m in! Now I’m just waiting for the letter to come in the mail to be sure I didn’t dream it :slight_smile:

Wow! Moonshine!

Congratulations! It’s so exciting!

Where did you get accepted?! Is this your top choice? Are you still going to go to more interviews? Don’t be so misterious

Kasia

I applied early decision at SC - No more interviews for me, and luckily no late application submittals to anywhere else.

Congrats!

What are you going to do with all of your downtime and money you saved not going to interviews?

Rachel Yealy, DO

I recommend that applicants apply in June, whether or not the MCAT is under your belt. Schools will begin sending 2ndaries at that point, but will not evaluate your application until your MCAT scores come in.

Cheers,

Judy

Hello all,

This is my first time posting to the website. I’ve been reading through some of the threads and I was hoping that someone could offer some advice. I am applying to medical school as well this year. However, I have not submitted my application yet because I scheduled to take the MCAT on August. I wanted to submit my application since June, but I was told not too. Is it okay to submit application without your MCAT scores?

All advice/suggestions are welcomed!!!

Thanks!

Hello,

I am new to the site. I just saw your post. I really wanted to submit my application in June. However, I was told not too. I am thinking that I should submit it at the end of the month even though I haven’t taken the MCAT yet. I am scheduled to take it on August 21, 2009.

What do you consider late in terms of application time line?

Most of the advice I have heard suggests that you get your application in as early as possible (Jun / Jul), even without your MCAT scores, as it takes several weeks for the verification process to be completed. They will start that and just hold off on forwarding the application to your chosen schools until they receive your MCAT scores.

Lynda

If you check off that you will be taking the MCAT in the future, the AAMCAS will still be processed and sent to the schools. However, you application will not be reviewed until your MCAT score comes in.

What is the purpose? I am glad you asked. It takes 4-6 weeks for AAMCAS to verify your classes and release your application to the schools. If you submit now, then it will not matter to you because your application will be placed on hold by the schools until the MCAT is scored. However, if you wait you need to add the 4-6 weeks to the time it will take for you to take your MCAT and get the results. It will take at least 4 weeks to get your MCAT score. So that is 8-10 weeks before your application will go to the schools.

Rolling admissions favors the early applicant. Keep that in mind.

Actually, I think AMCAS sends the application without MCAT scores once they have verified it. The schools will not consider you complete until they get your MCAT score, but many schools will send you a secondary application without an MCAT score.

Precisely, so even though you will not be “complete” that lag time between now & the time you take the MCAT + time waiting on your scores can be invested by the schools to process all of the ancillary BS in your app. OTOH, if you wait until you get your MCAT scores, you will so late that even if you are a 4.0/40 sorta applicant, you are very very unlikely to be successful this cycle.