Applying to Texas Schools with TMDSAS

I noticed the Texas schools use the TMDSAS application. Does that replace the AMCAS? I may apply to a couple out of state.

I’m a Texas resident and plan on applying to about all the schools here next summer for 2014 start date. For those who have gotten in, should I take a couple of Spanish classes to brush up on it so I can honestly write in my personal statement that I’m able to converse with my Spanish-speaking patients? I tend to understand more than I can speak, which helps now with me being in the ER.

Finally, when should I begin the process? I have a ton of transcripts to get, LORs to get (no HPAC here ).

Thanks for the wisdom!

• Leuschner4 Said:
I noticed the Texas schools use the TMDSAS application. Does that replace the AMCAS?

Not sure what you mean by "replace". To apply to texas school you must fill out a TMDSAS application (and that includes all MD Texas schools and 1 DO school), with two notable exceptions:

Baylor college of Medicine application is done via AMCAS

All MD/PhD programs in Texas schools are done via AMCAS

Now, and for Texas schools, some students apply to both MD and MD/PhD. I do not know if two applications must be filled (AMCAS+TMDSAS) for texas schools.

So to summarize

1) AMCAS for all MD schools except Texas Schools (with BCM still done via AMCAS)

2) TMDSAS for all Texas schools (except BCM done via AMCAS)

3) AACOMAS for all DO schools (except TCOM done via TMDSAS)

• Leuschner4 Said:

For those who have gotten in, should I take a couple of Spanish classes to brush up on it so I can honestly write in my personal statement that I'm able to converse with my Spanish-speaking patients? I tend to understand more than I can speak, which helps now with me being in the ER.

Speaking spanish is a big plus in Texas. Mentioning it should be good enough, although a few credits won't hurt. That's my strategy. --- Disclaimer here: I haven't gotten in a Texas school, but I landed several interviews.

• Leuschner4 Said:

Finally, when should I begin the process? I have a ton of transcripts to get, LORs to get (no HPAC here ).

Sorry I do not know what HPAC means (excuse my ignorance) As for the letters, I would start the process now, at least reach out to your potential references. You should start filing your TMDSAS an May 1st as soon as it becomes available, and have transcripts sent as soon as your spring grades are available (If you take spring classes, you MUST wait till your grades are posted on your transcript before forwarding them). I didn't take any classes during this spring to avoid delaying and get verified before the big rush.

There is a lot of strategy given the competition in the process. Make sure to set a timetable and don't omit any detail (you know that's where the devil is).

Good luck.