Applying to the right med schools

I have no clue what to look for in a medical school that will be a good fit for me. Obvious factors such as tuition, financial aid and location are a given but beyond that I don’t know what else to consider.

I do know that if I stay in MN, my folks will let me stay with them (even though I hate MN winters with a passion) so that pretty much eliminates a majority of living expenses.

Should I pick a school based on the specialty I plan to choose?

I’ve heard that while private schools are more expensive (and competitive), they tend to offer better financial aid packages compared to public schools.

The US Best website ranks schools on so many factors, I really don’t know what’s most important.

I figure I would apply to MN, but any other school that would require me to move out of state would have to be somewhere with mild (to blistering hot) temps year round. The MN winters are just too depressing for me.

Any advice???

Thanks!!!

1. Really, “tuition, financial aid and location” are the big considerations for anyone, you already got those

2. One factor to consider is the institution’s record of placement into residencies that interest you (if they are the more competitive residencies). Bear in mind, you have a leg up matching in the dermatology residency at your HOME INSTITUTION; it’s considered a feather in their cap to retain their own med students. Plus, they know you’re (hopefully) not a freak.

3. Volunteer clinical opportunities are a big draw-- do they allow medical schools to have their own free clinic for example.

4. Lots of considerations that are the same as when you picked an undergrad institution: housing, cafeteria food, intramural sports and gym facilities, whether you have a religious community or gay scene to belong to, etc. etc.

Take heart-- finding a medical school in a site warmer than Minnesota does not seem like an unattainable goal.
  • MattFugazi Said:

2. One factor to consider is the institution's record of placement into residencies that interest you (if they are the more competitive residencies). Bear in mind, you have a leg up matching in the dermatology residency at your HOME INSTITUTION; it's considered a feather in their cap to retain their own med students. Plus, they know you're (hopefully) not a freak.

I would have to disagree with this one... or at least say it's not always the case. For sure it's not the case in VCU/ MCV where I'm at. Last year I attended an informational meeting about dermatology residency in my school (just out of curiosity, since it never even crossed my mind to go into derm), and the residency director said that they rarely accept people from MCV, mainly because they are looking for variety and diversity.

But I guess it might have been specific to this particular person and shouldn't be generalized.

Kasia

I would suggest that you get out your MSAR and look at the stats (gpa, MCAT, in-state vs. out of state, etc.). Look at the mission statement (they all look a like at first). Think about the geographical location you would like to be in (or don’t want to be in). Look at what might be your EXIT debt (but hard to determine without a known financial aid package). As far as how students do in the match…most schools “advertise” that their graduates get one of their top three choices. But things change every year, and what is true now likely won’t be true in a few years. When it all comes down to it, most applicants are thrilled to be accepted anywhere, and if s/he wants to be a doctor, “will go anywhere that accepts me.”

Cheers,

Judy

Generally I think “location” can help you weed out a lot of undesirable possibilities. If you hate winter, you won’t apply to places that are cold. (You’ve already said you’d make an exception for your home school, but the advantages that cancel out your abhorrence of winter in MN wouldn’t be present in any other cold-weather school.)

What about city vs. country? Large city vs. small town? Coastal vs. midwest? You really can do a lot of narrowing down by starting to recognize your preferences.

Then, as Judy said, look at the schools. Their websites actually can give you a “feel” for a place - after browsing through many of them, you’ll start to recognize that while all the websites are, obviously, sales tools, they actually do have their own distinctive flavors. I still wish I could’ve considered Creighton. Their website was the friendliest thing (back ten years ago when I was looking - no idea what it’s like now).

If you truly can go anywhere in the U.S. - well, you have more weeding to do than someone who’s limited due to personal or family responsibilities, and so it’ll take you more time to sift through the possibilities. Good luck!

Mary

While applying to specific schools, keep in mind that what you see on paper and what you like on paper or on the website may not be what you see when you go there for an interview.

You should start with a broad stroke brush and select schools that meet your very broad criteria. You can only narrow this down once you have had a chance to see the school either at Open houses or during your interview if you are granted one. Only then can you tell if you will like a school.

I can show you a beautiful picture of a car and then when you drive it, it is a lemon.