Applying with pending Orgo Lab

Is it a problem if I submit my AMCAS not having finished my organic lab? I’m planning on submitting my AMCAS sometime in June/July 2008 timeframe.

I’m currently wrapping up Organic I, and am enrolled in Organic II next semester. In our school, the Organic lab is taught as a separate course entirely, and they STRONGLY discourage concurrent enrollment with Organic II and prefer that students finish the sequence before attempting the lab. Naturally, I want to do well, so I take this advice seriously.

If I decide not to take it Winter 08 term, I will have take it sometime in Fall 08, after I’ve taken the MCAT and submitted my AMCAS. Not sure how this is viewed upon, or if it will hinder my chances. If it’s a minus not having it done on my transcript I’ll probably just risk it and do Orgo II and Lab concurrently.

By the spring of 08, I will have completed 1 yr of bio, 1 yr of orgo, 1 yr of gchem, and 1 yr of physics… everying minus the orgo lab.

I have thus far done decent in Orgo I… floating around the B+/A- range with a month to go, but I’ve always felt that my lab skills are not so hot, but in my other courses, I’ve always maintained a lab average of around 90% through sheer effort (always the last one to leave a lab class though ).

Assuming your grades in everything else are decent and your MCAT is decent, I don’t think it will be that big of deal. I applied with the last quarter of physics outstanding and it was never mentioned.

Yeah, there is a place on the AMCAS/AACOMAS application that lists future courses you plan to take. Just fill it in.

Once you get an acceptance, you have to send all your transcripts to the school again anyway, so they’ll just make sure you finished it with at least a C or better.

• ipitydafoo Said:
Is it a problem if I submit my AMCAS not having finished my organic lab? I'm planning on submitting my AMCAS sometime in June/July 2008 timeframe.

Applicants who are applying at the end of the jr. year in college often do not have all of the pre-reqs finished. Most med schools want them completed either by June prior to matriculation, or just simply "prior to matriculation." You should have no problem.

Remember that the early bird gets more.... So, submit your application in June, with or without your MCAT taken.

Cheers,

Judy

ipity - I think you are fine like everyone else has already said. Most schools are just looking that you took the first semester of orgo so orgo II and orgo lab are not high priorities. They might ask you about your intentions of taking it but it won’t be a big deal. By the time you start interviewing you will be in the course anyway and probably acing it like you are acing orgo I (in my opinion the lab was a whole lot easier than orgo).