Are there med school programs with no pre-requisite courses required?

Dear All:

This is my first post–very happy to have found this site.

I would like to know whether there is a list of med-school programs (MD or OD) that do not require pre-requisite coursework. Having graduated back in 1995, one would imagine that if I do well on the MCAT, that should suffice as the score would be “fresher” than grades from a 14-year old transcript. I have found some schools in Canada, but was wondering whether there was a consolidated source for such information. This could save me at least a year in the application process.

Background: I’m 36 and work in the US Foreign Service for USAID doing international development work. Although my undergrad degree was in French literature, biology and the natural sciences were always a forte for me, and I had to choose between the international affairs lifestyle or my equally strong attraction for medicine. Now that I know what the Foreign Service is all about (…and isn’t) after nearly a decade, I’ve had a recent epiphany and am excited about seriously exploring going back to plan A.

Any advice to my question would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Chris

• cjlafargue Said:
Dear All:

This is my first post--very happy to have found this site.

I would like to know whether there is a list of med-school programs (MD or OD) that do not require pre-requisite coursework. Having graduated back in 1995, one would imagine that if I do well on the MCAT, that should suffice as the score would be "fresher" than grades from a 14-year old transcript. I have found some schools in Canada, but was wondering whether there was a consolidated source for such information. This could save me at least a year in the application process.

Background: I'm 36 and work in the US Foreign Service for USAID doing international development work. Although my undergrad degree was in French literature, biology and the natural sciences were always a forte for me, and I had to choose between the international affairs lifestyle or my equally strong attraction for medicine. Now that I know what the Foreign Service is all about (...and isn't) after nearly a decade, I've had a recent epiphany and am excited about seriously exploring going back to plan A.

Any advice to my question would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Chris

First, Welcome! This is a great forum and you'll gain alot from it.

Second, as far as I've researched, the answer is no...usually at a minimum medical schools are looking for a year of biology, chemistry (general and organic), and physics. Also, depending on the school, there is usually a time period in which you should take these prereqs (10 at the very most, but usually less). Plus MCAT taken within 2 at the very most 3 years.

Best of luck!

Kris

No, you will have to do ALL the pre-reqs and take the MCAT.

Are you saying that you have done the prerequisite coursework, but a long time ago? Or that you want to skip the prerequisite coursework?

First, even if you’re a naturally brilliant test-taker, you won’t do well on the MCAT without taking the prerequisite gen-chem, o-chem, bio and physics.

Second, you won’t do well at the killer pace of med school during the first two years without a good grounding in the basic sciences.

Third, it’s fun to learn these things. I really enjoyed going back to school after so many years and finding that I could do those hard courses that I’d previously shied away from.

If you have done the prereqs, but they’re old, then it’ll be considered on a case-by-case basis with each medical school. A few won’t mind so much, but most will want to see recent coursework. And if you took biology in the early 90s, you will have to go back and re-take simply because the field has progressed so much.

You’ll see lots of references to “it’s a marathon, not a sprint,” but i would also say, “it’s a journey as much as it’s a destination.” You have to be ready to treat this as an exhilarating adventure in education, and enjoy each part of it for its own sake.

Mary

• Mary Renard Said:

You'll see lots of references to "it's a marathon, not a sprint," but i would also say, "it's a journey as much as it's a destination." You have to be ready to treat this as an exhilarating adventure in education, and enjoy each part of it for its own sake.

Mary

Mary, I have to agree with you wholeheartedly on this phrase. I noticed that many premeds are just trying to rush things along to get to the destination (more common with traditional students). I look forward to each step and my next step is the undertaking of organic chemistry and physics this fall.

Thanks everyone for the consistent and sound advice. This is in sync with everything I’ve seen so far.

Now I suppose the best thing to do is seek out a post-bac premed program with some linkages to med schools. I’ve taken most of the pre-reqs, but a long time ago and not all of them. I appreciate the quick responses. It was nice to wake up and find that already four people had offered their advice.

Best wishes to all on your own journeys. That sounds like the best outlook.

Kind regards,

Chris

• cjlafargue Said:
Thanks everyone for the consistent and sound advice. This is in sync with everything I've seen so far.

Now I suppose the best thing to do is seek out a post-bac premed program with some linkages to med schools. I've taken most of the pre-reqs, but a long time ago and not all of them. I appreciate the quick responses. It was nice to wake up and find that already four people had offered their advice.

Best wishes to all on your own journeys. That sounds like the best outlook.

Kind regards,

Chris

Best of luck, Chris! Enjoy the ride!