Armed Forces HPSP Limits

Unless you’re interested in actually wearing the uniform do not join the military to become a physician.

Retirement as a physician is not that big of a deal. I know three docs in Bethesda who are close to 70 still in uniform. If the military needs your specialty and expertise they will keep you. As an OPM it’s just not worth it financially to go into the military.

pathdr2b…stay out of the military…

If anyone wants to join the military they should do so AFTER they’re in residency or better yet AFTER board certification. The military only looks lucrative because they talk to you about how much debt you will accrue and then show you low-ball salary’s of some physicians. FM physicians make good money that they don’t have to go into the military.

I have to humbly disagree with croooz about joining AFTER residency.

Being debt free is amazing. My wife has her medical school debt, so I experience both worlds.

If you KNOW you want to be in the military, have them pay for medical school. If you are unsure, wait.

• Doc Gray Said:
I have to humbly disagree with croooz about joining AFTER residency.

Being debt free is amazing. My wife has her medical school debt, so I experience both worlds.

If you KNOW you want to be in the military, have them pay for medical school. If you are unsure, wait.

How do you experience both worlds? Your wife's debt is your debt no? The Gray's are either debt-free or they're not.

The key thing in your post is the word KNOW. What many assume you mean is that I know I want to provide medical care to the military as a military physician. What they should KNOW is that they also are agreeing to all the non-medical issues as well as career advancement, operational tempo, nurses/PA's outranking them and second guessing their medical decisions (it happens from time to time).... If they KNOW that they will deal with everything that comes from being a military member and not just a physician in uniform then they are welcome to sign on the dotted line.

Ultimately the answer to the original question is that while ON PAPER there are age limits, IN THE REAL WORLD the military will take those it needs whether or not they were prior service.