Armed Forces HPSP Limits

Is anyone familiar with the age limitations for the Army/Navy/Air Force Health Professions Scholarship Program? Targeting to enter med school at age 42 and finding conflicting information on the age restrictions for this program.

I spoke with a medical recruiter, you have to graduate from medical school by the time you are 42-years-old. I have a friend I went to optometry school with that went back to med school and did it through the Army. Just like anything else, pluses and minuses to the military route.

At the 2007 conference in Chicago, we had a military themed student panel and recruiters from army and navy. I personally spoke to the Officer in charge of Naval Health Professions recruiting for the midwest. He told us that while the official cut off to start medical school is 36, if you have a letter of acceptance and can past a physical you will get a waiver.

As I have been accepted for the Army HPSP scholarship, I can tell you that the age limit is age 42 at graduation without a waiver. I believe that the Navy and Air Force is 40. That being said, as long as you can pass the physical and have an acceptance (or meet auto-accept standards) you can usually qualify for a waiver. I know of a 48 year old and a 53 year old both on HPSP. Of interest, this was the first year in the last five that they awarded all of the available scholarships. Previously they only gave away about half the money allotted which meant that if you wanted the scholarship, you got it. not sure how this year’s board will go…

Great feedback - many thanks to all!

What great information! I too spoke with a recruiter and was told about the age 42 at graduation cut off, but never told about the waiver. Guess in my case it won’t matter much though. I doubt I’d pass the physical at any age considering I have a pacemaker. Darnit!

From what I was recently told by a USU medical student, 2 of the armed forces, Navy and Air Force, are pretty strict about enforcing the age limit for people who don’t have prior military service. The Army is said to be more flexible.

Also, the air force seems to meet its recruiting goals for medical personnel faster than the other armed services.

On another completely trivial note, while looking into this, I came across this article about a non-traditional student from the marines

He went from being a sergeant in the Marine Corps, to a major in the Marine Corps, and now he is an ensign in the Navy studying to become a doctor.

Im not sure but I would think prior service they would subtract your years of service from your age. But dont quote me on that.

Unless you are a re-tred (prior service not eligible) then you might be past the point. I know the Marines your hosed!!!

• groundsquirrel Said:
Im not sure but I would think prior service they would subtract your years of service from your age. But dont quote me on that.

Unless you are a re-tred (prior service not eligible) then you might be past the point. I know the Marines your hosed!!!!!

You are correct - they would subtract your prior service years from your age

It doesn’t matter. I’ve known plenty of people past the age requirement get a waiver and they never wore the uniform. Even if for whatever reason you don’t get the HPSP there is still military money during residency. Of course that was before the sequester and government shutdown so things might get slim but I doubt it.

The age waiver might work for the Army and other branches but not for the Marine Corps. They are pretty set in their age cutoffs.

And the waivers were a dime a dozen back in the late 90’s but as things have slowly drained down the toilet the waivers have been scarce.

The three sister services are the Army, Navy, and Air Force. The Marine’s are not a sister service, they are a daughter service of the Navy, hence they use Navy physicians for their medical care and have no say in Navy age waivers.

Yes, I am very aware of that arrangement. The Navy

has given me more shots than I care to remember. LOL

Oh and a several free rides to far off exotic places.

I don’t have any specific details, but the military also offers a payback program in which you join AFTER graduating and they pay down your loans. That’s another option to getting out of the pile of med school debt. I would caveat that with the obligatory “don’t just join for the money” because I’ve seen people (non-medical) join for the money and absolutely hate it. They’re a joy to work with…

Yeah dont do that, some poor soul ends up over in the “sandbox” having no clue what they just got themselves into.

It’s because of “those” physicians that I recommend people who want to join do so after residency. Once you have a chip to play and attended the residency you chose. To each their own but life is to short to limit your choices because of fear…that advice goes both ways.

You are exactly right. I have seen it too many times over in the sand, and you can see it in their eyes, like “what did I get myself into”. By that time it’s too late or someone else is dead.

The people I have asked have said the age cut-off for HPSP is firm at 42. I admit that I haven’t spoken to a health professions recruiter about it though and since people on here are saying they’ve heard it from a HC recruiter and others are saying they personally know older students on HPSP, I’m inclined to believe it. However, what isn’t being said is that although you may get a waiver to join after age 42, if you do you will not be eligible for a military retirement as you will not be able to get 20 years before the mandatory retirement age of 62. (Unless you are prior service and that time can help you make the 20.). This is the sad thing that I have found in my research of this topic. Maybe there is something else I don’t know about. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know. If your goal is to become a military physician and be in for a few years only then a waiver may be great for your goals. If you want to do a full 20 years and get a military retirement it seems you’re out of luck. I was told by the Air Force that the age limit for physicians to join is 48. To be able to do 20 & get the retirement you’d have to get your degree by 42. The soonest I could finish med school would be at age 45. I’m 38 now.

• kwyatt75 Said:
However, what isn't being said is that although you may get a waiver to join after age 42, if you do you will not be eligible for a military retirement as you will not be able to get 20 years before the mandatory retirement age of 62. (Unless you are prior service and that time can help you make the 20.). This is the sad thing that I have found in my research of this topic.(

I worked at the military medical school, USUHS, for a couple years not that long ago. And I was told by a retiring Military Physician that yes, age waivers are granted. But that the jury was out on whether or not you could put in 20 years and pull a military retirement benefits package.

I personally don't plan on ever retiring, so I didn't think much about this at the time.

But now that I'm more interested in Locums work as a practicing Doc, I'm not interested in the military at all.