At The CrossRoads... Any Thoughts???

I have been a member here for a while now… I even had the opportunity to attend one of the confrences…

I have been walking the medical school path for a bit… a very slow walk … but walking non the less…

I am trying to make a decision, and just posting to see if I get any input I have not considered, or maybe someone who has been where I am now…

Any input is greatly appreciated…

Small background…

I am a single parent, 7yr old… from Texas

I am currently working full time (6+ years) for a major corp. (BS degree in INfo Sys)

I have been taking my pre-reqs at night. finished it a couple of summers ago. took the mcat… got a low score (below 25)… Applied anyway in 2008 and of course, no acceptance…

I don’t want to give up the major goal. But I am concerned about leaving my full time job.

I think to really be competitive… . I need to prove I can do upper level science courses on a full time basis, get to know more doctors to possibly get a LOR. And of course retake the MCAT.

This all seems so clear to me, but when I consider leaving a job, that pays for all my lil ones needs ( and some wants) I wonder if I am being selfish…

Just turned 30, got a lil promotion at my job… BUT I HATE… this friggin Job…

I have no idea what to do… I keep telling myself I will just stay (@ FT job)… and make the best out of it… But… maybe a only a couple of days pass and I am right back… thinking about pursuing medical school…

i know its not easy… I know commitment and sacrafice are requried. But i really enjoy learning about the sciences, i enjoyed my time volunteering in the hospital, and talking to the staff. I find research interesting. And i think i will make a good doctor… i dont want to give it up…

Its driving me crazy… Any Thoughts???

Would it be an option to go half time or 75%? More and more jobs are amenable to this especially if they like the employee. I didn’t think it was possible but now I’m doing part time at my job.

Hey I think it’s great that you’ve managed to keep your job and take the pre-reqs. Take any advice from me with a grain of salt, b/c I’m no expert, just a fellow traveler. What about a bridge program? The DO school in our area offers two Master’s programs. As I understand it, if they have a candidate that they really like…but whose scores are marginal…they sometimes offer a guaranteed interview for the following year or a conditional place in a med school class if you successfully complete the intense one-year Master’s. Does that make sense? An extra year of loans? Yes. But it might be worth it. Just a thought.

Thanks For your input…,

@Graceland - I dont know anyone at my job that has done that, but it is worth looking into. A good compromise for now…

@Overthemoon - The DO school in my area does have a one year Masters program that i will definatly apply to if i can get the courage to leave my job. I have started the application twice…

If you are not 200% that you are ready to do what it takes to get in which pretty much would entail possibly quitting your job, I would WAIT until you KNOW for SURE that you are willing to do this. The way things are now with this healthcare debacle, the insane amount of time you will spend on this endeavor, being a single parent, making a good income right now in this time of job losses, I personally would wait. Medical school WILL always be there for you. There is NO need to rush into anything right now.

I agree efex, if I am not sure that is what I want then i should not do it. But the question is not that I want to … I KNOW I want to…

I am just concerned if I Should. But I think i will go crazy if I dont…

thanks for your input

the topic and the conversation made me think of this… —

where will you be “ages and ages hence” – and what will you be saying “with a sigh” - not an answer really — just the question we all face.

Robert Frost (1874–1963). Mountain Interval. 1920.

1. The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same, 10

And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back. 15

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference. 20

Appreciate the Input swy55…

That is the one poem that i remember the most… but never really thought about it in this situation…

I needed to read that…

It is one I relate to a lot. I feel fortunate that I was able to go back… to take the path not taken before… unlike the speaker in the poem

For me it was the right choice. Yet even now I realize that there are always still other paths, and the one I have walked comes at its own expense… It is all very zen-ish sometimes