Au.D. to MD? and maybe kids

Hello all,

I stumbled upon this site and I’m thrilled. Here’s a short background on my story. I’m 25, just finished a clinical doctorate program in audiology. I’ve always had the desire to go into medicine but haven’t reached for it yet. So I just finished school and am already ready to start into medicine. I know that audiology just isn’t for me. I have a HUGE student loan. My boyfriend (and someday future husband) is a D.O. and currently PGY-1 in internal medicine (also with a HUGE loan). He knows of my dreams and is in full support but is also very candid with me about what he’s been through. And we will definitely be starting a family at some point in the future. Ultimately, this is something that I have to do.

Here are my questions:

1. Is this goal attainable or should I come to terms with being an audiologist?

2. Does anyone have any financial advice regarding how to tackle the loan we currently have and still make my goal attainable without waiting 10-15 years to start med school.

3. Any advice about pre-reqs? I have some but it’s been 4 years so I realistically need all of the prereqs. I work full-time so I need to work the classes around my job.

4. Any words of encouragement about how to make this all work (medical school someday, kids, marriage, etc.)

I know it can be done and I know I will do it, it can just seem like a pretty daunting task. (One I know will be worth it in the end)

Thanks guys, Nicole

(I can’t tell you how thrilled I am to have found this site)

Nicole, I know your feeling well. I felt the exact same way when I was contemplating med school and found OPM

in answer to your questions:

1. YES your goal is attainable!! don’t give up on your dreams and be in a job you hate for the rest of your life!!

2. med school is expensive. being in debt for many years is something you will have to learn to accept. there are some programs out there - US army has a healthcare scholarship thing if you’re willing to serve for 2-4 years after graduating. if you’re willing to do residency in rural/underserved, there are other programs to help pay for med school.

3. i’m doing secondaries right now so i’m way too familiar with the pre-reqs. if you want to cover your bases, you will need:

1 year biology + lab

1 year general chemistry + lab

1 year ochem + lab

1 year physics + lab

1 year english (can substitue with philosophy or lit)

1 year calculus (can substitute with stats)

try to take all your pre-reqs at a 4-year accredited university. some med schools don’t like it if you take pre-reqs at community colleges.

4. if you really want this, you can make it happen! 3rd and 4th year of med school is supposedly less rigorous. maybe u can have your kids then? if you’re only 25, you can wait til after med school and or residency. and have kids in your 30s. i saw a pregnant girl when i took my mcats.

anything is possible, just follow your heart and your dreams!!

Hi!!!

Welcome to the site!! I am in the same position. I am a Speech-Language Pathologist and I have taken the steps to becoming a physician (single, no kids,engaged). My fiance is a software engineer and we have decided to just let me go to school full time and he will just take care of household expenses. I just had to “suck it up” from quitting working as a SLP (I love it but my TRUE calling is medicine ) and start doing REALLY what my heart desires…taking all of the necessary steps of making my dreams of being a physician come true!! Good luck!!