Back again

Hello everyone, I’m back after a long hiatus from this site. But now I’m officially a medical student.

I finally finished my chemo, 24 cycles, and started classes. My school has summer anatomy, and my first week of classes was my last week of chemo, what a great week!

I sold my house, bought a new one, moved hours away from my home, but life is good!

And now I’m halfway through my first class, and hopefully I’ll be around here more often.

Tim

Welcome back Tim! Keep us posted on your med school adventures. I’m so pleased that you are on your way!!

Tim, where did you wind up going to school? I can’t believe you did a 3:07 marathon! I did Buffalo Marathon last month and was only 4:30, booooo!

Congrats! I hope things go well for you!

Hey Matt, I’m actually at SUNY Upstate, I have a few new classmates who did their undergrad at SUNY Buffalo, that’s where you are right?

Beleive it or not, I actually ran a 2:45 marathon this spring. I haven’t updated parts of my webiste for a while. Read the training section to see the ridiculous amount of running I did over the last year It helped me keep my sanity during treatment and while trying to pull everything together for a move and the beginning of school. It was a heck of a year.

4:30 is great, there are A LOT of people who can’t run one mile at that pace, and you did 26.2! Do you still find time to run during school? I’m hoping I can, just as a stress control.

Tim

Good Lord, people! I ran a HALF in 2:40. But I figure at least I was faster than the people who stayed home.

Tim, it is possible to run during school, at least the first two. I think you could even do the training for a full marathon if you manage your time well. I’ll keep you posted on years 3 and 4.

Everybody runs at Buffalo med school-- it is far and away the number one fitness activity. People also lift and play ongoing pickup basketball, volleyball, and ultimate frisbee games. Just speaking for myself, it clears the head and helps my resistance: getting pneumonia or gastritis or something in med school and missing class is a total pain in the ass: you never feel like you can catch up. (I don’t mean to be insensitive- I know you have had cancer!)

You can check your school for different clubs…we had a running group, v-ball, softball,…many different activities to help clear your head.

We had a clinical medicine instructor that started off his lecture with some of his experiences with medical school. One of the stories was about the fast pace of the classes…He was trying frantically to keep up with the notes during physio, dropped his pencil, reached for it and during those few seconds of not paying attention became a week behind. We all had a laugh, and then silence, because we all knew how true it was. We all get behind for some reason or another, and I can not imagine being seriously ill during school.

Good luck!

Rachel Yealy, DO

Just wanted to wish you well on your first year!