Bad grades and low GPA

Hello, I just graduated from my undergraduate with a 2.9 cumulative gpa, and a 2.31 science gpa. After all this, I was devasted and decided to switch to MPH. I am starting an MPH this semester, however, I can’t stop thinking about going to medical school. I am not sure how to raise my gpa, should I do a diy postbacc and retake all the classes I got C’s in to raise my science gpa or take higher-level science classes?

Thanks

1 Like

Do not retake anything at or above a C. Retake courses C- or below. Use online calculators to to see how many courses you need to take in order to raise your gpa to your desired level and or around a 4.0. If unreasonably long, look into SMPs with linkage to medical schools

2 Likes

Agree with @dy003 about not retaking courses where you earned a C or higher since that’s technically passing. I’m about to start my second year as a post-bacc at UC Berkeley Extension, which is very much a DIY program. That’s one of the reasons I decided to go there - I got A’s in both semesters of bio when I took it at UDC and UCBx didn’t make me retake it in house. I’ve heard that if one wants to retake a lower division pre-req in which they earned a C or B to get an A, taking an upper level science class is a better move.

An MPH (or other science/health related) program shows adcoms you can handle graduate level work provided you get strong grades. Often adcoms look at upward trends which could work in your favor if your MPH grades are strong. A background in public health is helpful in medicine, especially for primary care and community health. Or if you decide not to do the post-bacc, an MPH opens doors to a lot of different jobs (speaking as someone who has a parent with an MPH)

1 Like

Greetings future healers. I’ve been a physician for 29 years. I have a few thoughts - if you fret you will regret. Doctors are human. Nail your personal statements. Make friends with attending physicians. Stop struggling. If your grades tanked, something happened. While bringing them up is crucial. Your transcript is your friend, not your foe. When we meet to select students, first run drills with your new found attending physician friends. Shame and embarrassment will kill a patient. I need to know what my students do to get out or self and get into truth. Begin with walking into a Dean of the Medical Schools office and say, “I’m here to be a physician and I need help with guidance and entrance.” Let me know when your date of graduation from medical school will take form. I mean no disrespect but leave the mindset of struggle behind. Join with us who take God Grace’s seriously and get in the game. Dr. Jay

Great comments. I know from my students that people are not being accepted. When I went to med school we never considered alternatives. As a physician of 29 years, I am on dozens od selection committees. Here is what we want, sharp minds, quick problem solving skills, and a determination to save a patient. What is considered, from our selection process, is commitment. Medical school is hard because of the volume, pace, exertion and stamina. Stick with it. I’m going to say this and this is just my experience. Get out of your head. Compete with yourself not others who are in this boat of u certainty. I said it in another post. If you want to be a doctor, go to where you will find attendings. Not interns, residents of fellows. Find people like me who can get your game moving forward. I’m so glad this wasn’t around when I was doing my thing. I would have doubted everything. If you want it, go get it. I went to the University of Illinois - Urbana undergraduate- BS Biology. Then University of IL med school. I only applied there because that’s where I wanted to go. I then went to UNC for residency and my 1st fellowship. Completed my second fellowship at Northwestern. Triple boarded. I’m hopeful that someone will read this and lean into the power of possibility. First we need to believe to receive. However if there is doubt, I’ve been heart broken by folks who go without. I’m a woman, by the way - Pakistani and Black. I LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about my life as a physician. I love all of you and I’m praying that you succeed. Dr. Jay

Hey 007 - I’m an MD. Definitely take the necessary courses. Not just to raise a grade, but to command the subject. The next issue will be, from a selection committee, what happened. We will want to see a real person. Grades are powerful communicators of a story. How you experienced the distraction is what gives insight and clarity to those of us on a selection committee. The good news is you can raise the grade. The less than good news is that you are now going to be asked why. Before that makes you discouraged, recognize that as a physician we can only ever do our best. There is life in your hands. Some will not remain. You can’t make up or do again. So, dear friend, own your humility. Get clear about life and death. Speak about difficulties. Then move on. If you ruminate about bad grades, doctoring is the biggest best or worst grade you will ever know. Some people aren’t selected because of the inability to get help with thinking like a doctor. We don’t have much time but we help each other by giving some factual advice.

Take the classes, but that strategy is predictable. Why you had a rough semester belongs only to you. Grab an attending or a med school dean and hold your head up. Tell them, I want you to help me. We select candidates like that. Your competition is known to the selection committee already. Here’s your moment to shine.

DR. JAY.

1 Like