Balanced scores

I met with an advisor in Graduate/Professional admissions today that shared the following rumor with me. Keep in mind the she emphasized it was just something she had heard through the grapevine and not something that she had any factual data to back up.
She has a student who retook the MCAT. Although this student has a competitive overall score of 31, the advisor said that she had heard this person might not even get an interview because they had a 6 on one section. She stated she had heard this in the form of emphasis on balanced overall scores. She did not indicate that the section the low score was in was the reason, just that the scores were unbalanced.
Amy

Hi Amy,
Generally a 6 on the MCAT indicates a poor fund of knowledge in that particular area especially if the other areas are good. If a person gets a total of 31 with a 6 in one area, it is unlikely that they are having a problem with the MCAT but are more likely unprepared in that particular section. This would be a HUGE “red flag” for me.
It isn’t so much that I am looking for balance as 6s in all three areas would not cut it either. Consider the applicant who has 13/13/8. This would add up to a total of 35 but 8 in one section would not be much of a problem. I could still make a case for this person. Anything below 7 in a section indicates to me, that the person was not properly prepared for MCAT. This could either be lack of knowledge base or inability to apply their knowledge base. In either case, this would send a “red flag” to an admissions committee.
Natalie

Speaking as an applicant who had interviews at both DO and MD schools and who has been accepted at both schools and who had a 6 in the PS section on my MCAT I can tell you that it didn’t affect me. I hated physics and never understood it. I didn’t care how a ship could float on wated due to buouncy or how fast a train was traveling in relation to a person on the train passing a stationary person on a platform
Any way the 6 was the lowest score I had. It came up in one interview but not any of the other interviews.
Yes, admissions committees like to see consistency across all three scores but that doesn’t mean an applicant won’t get an interview and even an acceptance if the scores are askew.