Beginning at 50

Greetings,

I will be laid off soon from an IT position at 50 years old and contemplating pursuing a new career in the health care professions. Initially, I am contemplating Physical Therapy or Physician Assistant. I realize that I have a long road ahead of me; I am contemplating attending the conference in Chicago in a few weeks. Is the conference geared towards Medical School only or does it also inform on other health care professions? Although, in Information Technology, one is always in a state of learning, I am concerned about taking science courses as I have been away from a formal school environment for many years (albiet, software and project management courses & work during this period). I am in the position of being able to commit full time to education for the next 3 - 4 years. Is this dream feasible? Thank you in advance.

• TAS2255 Said:
Greetings,

I will be laid off soon from an IT position at 50 years old and contemplating pursuing a new career in the health care professions. Initially, I am contemplating Physical Therapy or Physician Assistant. I realize that I have a long road ahead of me; I am contemplating attending the conference in Chicago in a few weeks. Is the conference geared towards Medical School only or does it also inform on other health care professions? Although, in Information Technology, one is always in a state of learning, I am concerned about taking science courses as I have been away from a formal school environment for many years (albiet, software and project management courses & work during this period). I am in the position of being able to commit full time to education for the next 3 - 4 years. Is this dream feasible? Thank you in advance.

From one IT guy who has succumbed to project management to another, welcome aboard.

The conference in Chicago is geared to premedical and medical students (MD and DO). While we have contemplated having other professions present, these attempts have been limited, though when we were in Chicago in 2007, we had several podiatry schools exhibiting.

I think the advantage of the conference to most new people is that is gives a in-depth very realistic idea of what premed preparation is truly required, the application process, being in medical school, and beyond from a point of view of a older mature student. On that basis, attending would give you the idea of challenges you have to face for the most difficult of the medical fields that you mentioned. Having accurate real data to process is the only way to get output else... garbage in, garbage out. Besides, I promise you will not have the opportunity to be in a relatively small group setting with this many experts, both faculty/staff as well as other oldpremed students to really talk and get ideas. Consider it a 3 day seminar in project planning for medical school

My Rule #7 for non-trads is learn to be a student. Having taken and taught corporate training in computer networks, project management, and such and being a in post-bacc premed are entirely different. So starting with a course or two so you can get you student skills (note taking, study habits, exam taking, etc) is an important step. I see too many many older students jump over their heads without getting their feet wet first. But most students get the above skills back quickly